I bought Titanium Climbers

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 46
  • Views 6K
K

Koa Man

I just won a set of new Buckingham Titanium Climbers (without pads) on Ebay for $199 which includes shipping to Hawaii. It has the pole gaffs, which is all we use here to climb palms and on removals. Other than the occasional eucalyptus, all trees in Hawaii have very thin bark.

I see the these go for $297 or more on various tree supply websites.

There is another auction for a slightly used set with pads for $285, buy it now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am currently using Kleins steel climbers, heavy but I like the way it sticks into the palm trunk. I had a set of Bashlin aluminum climbers which was way lighter, but did not stick as well and I sold those.

Hope the Buckinghams stick like the Kleins.

I also went from Kleins to the titaniums. A much different feel, I hated them the first day. But after a week I was used to them and they stick very well. Give yourself a week or two to get used to the difference.

Nope, sorry.

They were 'borrowed' from the city when I worked there. I returned them to my former boss after I got sober (one of my 9th step amends).

I am teaching one of my ground guys, 19 yr. old, how to trim coconut palms. I let him do 6 on last Friday, 2 were about 70 ft. of trunk. He wasn't too scared and I laughed when his gaffs kicked out and he slipped. I had to yell at him, "I told you you are too close to the tree. Loosen your lanyard about 6" and lean back."

I should have also brought a pillow and mat to lie down on. He took almost 4 hours to do the 6 palms, but I guess that is about par for a beginner. Told him he'll get faster and be real good at it after he got about a 1000 under his belt.

He is getting the Kleins and my old saddle, a New Tribe Pro.

Another satisfied Titanium owner here.

Wesley, I used to take an hour per palm as well. Nobody ever would hire me again to do palms for them. And that's the way I liked it. :D

I'm sure somebody here would be happy to buy them. In fact I suspect you'll have an offer or two before the night is out. ;)

Is it hard to learn to climb with climbers? I could use a pair for hunting season so I can leave my treestand up in the tree where nobody can steal it. Then I could just climb up to it:D

Is it hard to learn to climb with climbers? I could use a pair for hunting season so I can leave my treestand up in the tree where nobody can steal it. Then I could just climb up to it:D

Except another guy with spikes... :/:

Rob's brother did not like the titanium's for pole work... He said he had to spike harder and his feet hurt at the end of the day. He went back to aluminum....

I have steel Buckinghams that were designed sometime during the Crusades. I like them fine and figure I'll just stick with what works for me. I did try the velcro pad which was a mistake and now I just use the caddie pads.

When I bought my spikes, I bought a pair of titaniums and a pair of geckos. I tried them both (on a dead sycamore in the local park) and the feel of the titaniums were more secure. But the geckos were lighter and COOLER!!!!

I went with the geckos. I don't like the crooked silly spike on them. I guess you can swap them out nowadays. I don't wear my spikes enough for me to care one way or another...yet...

love
nick

I did try the velcro pad which was a mistake and now I just use the caddie pads.

Do you still have the velcro pads? If it is the one WITHOUT the metal insert, I would be interested in purchasing them from you.

Back