Rope protection covers.

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 3K
W

Wagnaw

Hey, I just got about 30 ft of 1/2" amsteel to make to ~12 ft eye&eye slings, and I would like to get some Chaff guard tubing to go over the length of the sling between the eyes (not in the eyes). I've used the cover from my cobra cable kits for 5/8" slings before, but that stuff would be too wide IMO for this 1/2" rope.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find a narrower cover tube (similar to the cobra cable cover)?

Maybe if you have a hydraulic supply house nearby? The chafe sleeves for hydraulic hoses might work well, and that material comes in many sizes to match the hose size.

1" tubular webbing will work just fine.
---------------

Hey, I was gonna say that. :what:

I found lot of different types of webbing on e-bay. Look for the heavey duty & tight weave tube stuff. You can get it in just about any size and color if you look hard enough.

HC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1" tubular webbing will work just fine.

Damn, I didn't even think of that! My brother used to do a little slack lining, and he has a bunch of different color webbing straps laying around. Maybe I could snag some and color code my slings. :D

Asheville hose has what you need...and its cheap. They are along the river past lowes

I ended up getting some 2" hollow tubing from Black Dome. It was cheap (at least cheap enough, 15.00 bucks for 25').

Here they are... two eye & eye slings, just over 10' long each. I don't mind the larger tubing, and I think the 1" tubing would have been pushing it a little. I bought a foot of it just to check before I bought the 2", and the 1" tubing didn't quite fit over the 1/2" amsteel.

These slings turned out feeling pretty good though. They are a little easier to handle than the duraweb slings. Plus, the 1/2" amsteel is STRONG. 8)

Attachments

• Amsteel eye&eye slings.JPG
    Amsteel eye&eye slings.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Amsteel eye&eye slings (1).JPG
    Amsteel eye&eye slings (1).JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Amsteel eye&eye slings (2).JPG
    Amsteel eye&eye slings (2).JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Amsteel eye&eye slings (4).JPG
    Amsteel eye&eye slings (4).JPG
    418.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Amsteel eye&eye slings (5).JPG
    Amsteel eye&eye slings (5).JPG
    389 KB · Views: 12
Cool stuff. But one question: Why not just get a double braid rope?

I bought the amsteel to make a couple burly woopie slings, and I thought I'd make some eye and eye slings too. Also, I wanted to go 1/2", and you can't get much stronger in a 1/2" than amsteel.

I have a bunch of whoopie slings already. I made these, so I can make sure adequate slings are available when I'm subbing for other people on a crane removal or something. I'm not the biggest fan of linking together a bunch of short beaten up slings that whatever company just happens to have laying around. I figure, between these two 10' slings, and my two 8' tuflex slings, I should be good while working for other companies and myself.

That satisfy ya'll? I may have to break out the bread and cheese for all this grilling! :lol:

One thing to keep in mind when you have the splices covered, it how do you check the splices?

The splice is not actually covered. If notice in the photo, I whipped the cover to the amsteel back about 3-4 inches from the end of the tubing, so the whipping is into the bury of the splice. You can still pull back the ends of the tubing and look at the brummel to inspect it.

Back