How did you learn to work on saws???

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
I'm curious, how did you learn to work on chainsaws?? I really want to start learning some of the basics, but I'm clueless as to where to start. I've paged thru a few books, and I know how to do some basic stuff (changing sprockets, chains, bars, etc) but I'd like to go beyond that and eventually one day be able to do engine repairs, mods, etc.

Most everything I've learned was by necessity, having to figure out how to repair my own equipment because I couldn't afford to pay repair shop rates. And most of the time the local shops would end up charging more than the equipment was worth, and the idiots working on it would invariably break other items costing me even more money later on.

Of course I wasn't always successful in my efforts, but I learned more every time I destructed another engine a little bit further than the last time. Taking stuff apart and putting it back together has always fascinated me so fixing my own equipment just happened without much thought or training. I broke many items beyond repair trying to fix them, but eventually became familiar with basic repair techniques and methods.

When you need something fixed and can't do it yourself, do you naturally want to look over the shoulder of the guy fixing it so you can learn, or do you prefer to just hand it off and do something else until it's ready? I'm of the opinion that if you don't have an inate desire to learn how stuff works, then you'll never be much of a mechanic and may be better off concentrating on doing what you do well and leaving the wrenching to those with more natural abilities and desires. But if you do have a curiosity about it then it will come naturally as you continue to work on more and more of your own equipment.

I dunno,mechanical stuff just always came easy to me . I think I was just kind of born into it or something .

I can't remember a time in my life,even as a little boy that I didn't tinker with something .The saws are just a little portion of it---and yes I was a curious child .

I used to take all my saws to a local shop, Always on rainy days, if it could wait. I Would always go in the back and watch them work on the saws.

Its pretty straightforward.

Sometimes its just easier to take it to the shop than to have to do it afterhours and maybe risk not getting it done for the next day.

get on craigs list and find a cheap working saw, no matter the brand, and use it to cut some wood. then go find the ms 260 thread i started. i guarantee youll walk away with more knowledge than you have now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. Myself, I love to tinker with things. I would love to learn to work on engine, both small and large. Hopefully, this summer or next, I can get a job at our mechanics shop. We're friends with a bunch of guys there(along with the owner) who would teach me a lot about big trucks, and engines (diesel mechanics)

My Husky dealer (now closed) was owned by a logger , and the "small" engine mechanic was a midget (no shit) .... they were both very helpful bringing me along .... chainsaws /snowmobiles seem a little easier than cars / trucks ....

I love tinkering when I have time to. I started at a young age tinkering with electrical, then cars at 15. I then got certified in small engine for a moped shop as a 2 stroke mechanic. Things have changed a bit since 1979. However I never have the time save for quick fixes. And I mean quick. If it takes more than a screw driver and 1/2 hour (field fix) I take it to the shop. Not that the shop can be trusted as Brian points out... Hence our 200t thread.
Bottom line for me is what my time is worth. Do I have a back up saw (yup several) so I can keep running till its fixed and is my time in the field worth more than they will charge me ....
Learn it we should. Nuttin like saving money in slow times by fixing it ourselves and the feeling of accomplishment doing so :D

Like MB I am a slave to my saw shop tech. However, he takes good care of me! Rarely charges me labor and fixes whatever he sees wrong with my saw. He knows I trust him and he really knows his shit so I'm in good hands.

Does your dad have parts saws? I have an old 044 and a couple 020s that I keep around for parts. You can tinker on them, take them apart, put them back together, whatever as long as you don't throw anything away you still have spare parts.

I started wrenching on old Allis Chalmers garden tractors. Used to buy them non-running when I was around 13, and my goal was to get it working. It usually didn't take much, but I learned alot during the process, and when they were fixed I used them then sold 'em for a profit. After the tractors I picked up 2 old chevy's, a 77 and 79 I believe. Worked on them, then just progressed.

A mix of trial and error and getting your hands dirty. I always had the attitude of I'd rather fail trying, than pay someone to do it.

Living in the Bush in AK, one learns to fix things. 5 years as a Sawboss on the Hotshots, FS sent me to a course put on by Stihl and one by the orange saw people. Between that and maintaining 26 saws each season I became proficient enough, I reached the conclusion later in life that I hate working on shit, and if I have the money I happily support my local saw shop.:evil:

I don't actually know how many saws I turn a wrench on in the course of a year .Depends on the mood I'm in .

This summer I was so tickled to be able to sit on my patio in the afternoon after working nights for so long that the saws kind of became a non item .

A lazy afternoon sipping cool ones chit chatting with the Mrs. is a lot better than turning a wrench on some greasey old saw .;)

Here of late though I've been on a roll ,about a saw or two a day gets done .

Didn't want to pay a shop to fix a saw, that the repair bill was more then the saw was worth new. So I learned real quick.

Does your dad have parts saws? I have an old 044 and a couple 020s that I keep around for parts. You can tinker on them, take them apart, put them back together, whatever as long as you don't throw anything away you still have spare parts.

We have three or four old 020 (the original ones, made mostly of metal, weighs about 10 or 12 pounds) And one or two 020T's or MS200's and a few Huskys.

Right now, I want to try and get one of the older 020's to run. Needs a new trigger, clutch, spark plug, and the chain brake needs a but of work(new springs). On top of that, he has an old Husky 257 that needs a whole chain brake assembly, and the other basic things.

take the trigger assembly apart slowly so you can see how it all goes back together. having never seen one you may get discombooberated if it comes apart to quick. sounds like a great beggining project8)

Ranger,
once upon a time I opened up the trigger assembly on a 200T and didnt pay close attention to things. Snap a close up pic with your camera for that sort of stuff the first time you do it. It'll allow you to go back and see what it should look like in case you get confused like i did. Go dig yourself up a few scrap saws that are the same model, ie, one with a smoked piston, one with a blown clutch and broken gas tank and so on. Piece the best of each saw together to make a whole unit that runs right. You'll learn a lot doing that. The saw might still be pretty beat when you are done but you'll have learned something and if nothing else you'll have another chipper saw. My first attempt at saw mechanics was a Husky 394 that fell out of a chip truck on the interstate and came with a box of used replacement parts. I got it for 150 bucks. I learned a lot on that one saw.
I myself fix simple stuff such as coils, mufflers, kill switches and so on. the rest i take to the dealer. Not because I have money in the bank but because during my busy season I just dont have the time to work on saws.
Nice avatar by the way too Ranger. If you are up as far as it seems you are, I tip my hat to you. A guy your age grabbin the bull by the horns must have a third nut!

Thanks!! I was just on ebay looking up used, damaged Stihls and found a few, but I think I'll stick to our saws for now. Forgot about one of our 044's that won't start, so that's another mystery to solve later on.

And thanks Tucker. Actually, I'm only 50 to 60 ft up. The highest I've been is around 75 I think, when I was 12 or 13, in a nice sized Pin Oak with a good employee of ours. My dream though is to go to Cali and climb a couple of red woods!! Maybe a college spring break trip??

Ranger,
once upon a time I opened up the trigger assembly on a 200T and didnt pay close attention to things.
How coincidental .I have one on the bench as I type that was partially disassembled with the handle off of it . I'll take some pics today when I put it back together ,might help somebody .

Little saws like the 200T ,020T ,Husky 335,Mini Mac etc are the hardest saws to work on ever made .Everythng is little and tiny and must be assembled or disassembled in order or else it can't be done .

I have to get my mind right before I ever fiddle with one .

[...]. My dream though is to go to Cali and climb a couple of red woods!! Maybe a college spring break trip??

Don't skip that dream or you'll regret it when you get old. When you look back, it's not what you did that bugs you, it's what you didn't do.

A pal o' mine is a retired engineer & years ago he clued me to the OWNER'S MANUAL(s). Sez he, "I don't care if it's a toaster, READ THE MANUAL !!!"
Ofcourse I rolled my eyes at him ! That chit reads like stereo instructions (*yawn*)...
But he's right. I atleast peruse the owner's manuals.
If you've misplaced it or simply don't have it, most co.'s will send you one.

Back