95" DBH+084+60" bar=KABOOM

Burnham

Woods walker
The largest hazard tree we've removed this season went down this morning. Stone dead oldgrowth Douglas fir, 175 feet tall, about 75 feet from the main through route on the west side of the Mt. Hood NF.

I identified the tree last week and then made arrangements to do a temporary transfer of property of my FS 084 with the Cannon 60 inch bar to the contractor for felling this one tree. He accepts responsibility for the saw and we get the job done safe. Good deal for both parties.

Pictures, taken on a drizzly day. IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0672.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0679.jpg IMG_0683.jpg IMG_0689.jpg

Last edited:
Cool shots!
So he only used it for the notch and then used his own saw for the back cut? :? Heck of a big tree, way bigger than anything I've ever cut. I guess those big saws with big bars can be rather unweildy if you're not used to running them often.

How long did it take to fell it .
Just the cutting bits and what not.
It looks like you didnt use wedges?
So im guessing it was leaning away from road.
Why did it have to come down then ? To avoid smashing into other live trees ?
Wish i could have been there.KA BA BOOM BOOM

Wicked Burnham, did you guys buck the log up at all, to see if it sounds out. Will anything be done with it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool shots!
So he only used it for the notch and then used his own saw for the back cut? :? Heck of a big tree, way bigger than anything I've ever cut. I guess those big saws with big bars can be rather unweildy if you're not used to running them often.

Brian, with a bar that long, you REALLY have to be careful about throwing the chain any time you throttle it with the bar held horizontally...the weight of the bar causes quite a droop from the power head to the tip. So you start a kerf with a smaller saw and then insert the long bar to proceed. Look again, you'll see that he has the 084 in the back cut in the next photo.

How long did it take to fell it .
Just the cutting bits and what not.
It looks like you didnt use wedges?
So im guessing it was leaning away from road.
Why did it have to come down then ? To avoid smashing into other live trees ?
Wish i could have been there.KA BA BOOM BOOM

It was leaning towards the road, and way heavily, too. That was the only place it was going to go. We had a 220 excavator on the road to remove the portion that hit the pavement...flaggers for traffic control, the whole 9 yards.

Took 15 minutes after he trimmed away about 8 inches of bark all around.

Wicked Burnham, did you guys buck the log up at all, to see if it sounds out. Will anything be done with it?

No bucking needed, it broke in chunks the excavator could handle...might have been some sound wood in the middle, but the upper 75 feet was punk. You can see the size of the cavity and rot on the butt...not much there. Well, I guess it's relative...there was about 1 foot on the thin part of the rind and 3 feet on the thick side of it.

Yah the butt looks crappy just was wondering is all. Looks like alot of fun to be had down in your neck of the woods.

Great pics for the archives, Burnham.

Big saws aren't so unwieldy once you find big trees that you can sink them into. Moving them around the shed is the hassle.

Dang Burnham, you get to have all the fun!

It was a lot of fun, Butch. Danny asked me to stay close and give him advice...he'd never run a saw of this order, and the tree was at least a couple of feet bigger than anything he'd felled before. So I got to have a strong young man run the saw, all I did was tell him how I'd handle it...he did the heavy work and I got be up close and involved, camera in hand. It was really fun.

Last edited:
very cool! why didnt you do it burn? as it was going over the road anyway? did it damage the road? how much did that one tree cost?

Awesome big wood plop pics B.. Never did one that big yet.. I have a good size bull pine coming up this winter.. But man oh man. Be hard for this lil ol guy to run that big of saw and bar.. Maybe someday I'll get to try it ;)

Back