WTB Stump Grinder

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
Looking within a few hundred miles of PA for an inexpensive stump grinder. Im only dabbling with pushing stump grinding. I just want an inexpensive unit to get me by until I decide if I want to upgrade to the next level. Don't have a price in mind. Will consider on a machine by machine basis if its worth it to me.

Small stumpers suck. I used a 25 hp and 35 hp for years, it felt like this: :big-bat:

But now with a big machine you find grinding a lot more satisfying?

38hp direct belt to the cutting wheel, with the mini running the hydraulic swing and positioning it, makes for a pretty decent small grinder imo.

I've always liked it, and small stumps with a small machine are fine, but oh my, those big stumps with a small machine just never seem to end. Like the first 1/3 of the stump might be done in 10 minutes and you think "I'm kicking ass here" and then the final 2/3 takes and hour due to fighting the grain of the wood, too many grindings in the way, and just low hp's

Did some today, the biggest one had been cut ALAP and was probably 5'wx5'w, and I ground it down deeply below grade, 72 hp vermeer direct drive tow behind, I wasn't timing it but I think it took approx 12 minutes. I just offer that as time comparison to smaller machines. This same stump, using a Rayco rg 50, which I think is a very good machine, would probably take at least 45 minutes.

I went from a Vermeer 252 to a 652 and have no regrets aside from not buying it first. Hp is key.

Have to agree w/Cory & Rajan about the bigger stumps taking some time to do with a smaller grinder.

That being said, I run a 38 Special and can put it places I'd defy anyone to run a larger tow behind. I like it for it's quick, easy maneuverability, and minimally invasive entrance and exit to the stump. On many of the jobs I've done the yard would have been torn up badly backing a truck and large chipper to them, or it wouldn't be possible to get the thing backed up to the stump.

We all run into different types of jobs/jobsites and it is best to pick something that fits YOUR bill; not someone else's.

Have to agree w/Cory & Rajan about the bigger stumps taking some time to do with a smaller grinder.

That being said, I run a 38 Special and can put it places I'd defy anyone to run a larger tow behind. I like it for it's quick, easy maneuverability, and minimally invasive entrance and exit to the stump. On many of the jobs I've done the yard would have been torn up badly backing a truck and large chipper to them, or it wouldn't be possible to get the thing backed up to the stump.

We all run into different types of jobs/jobsites and it is best to pick something that fits YOUR bill; not someone else's.
I would love to see a 38special run in person. I thought about a 38 before buying the 652 but it would not go thru a 36" gate with my s800 and the 852 was just out of my price range. The only difference between a 652 and 852 is a turbo and some other odds and ends so upgrading is a possibility with some wrenching.

I certainly think that RG 20 would put you off grinding.
I can't speak for other areas but grinding has always been great money here. And in the UK. You can earn more than risking your neck up a tree, I am getting a new 35hp rayco in the next few weeks and I am going start a new biz just for grinding.
Mail shots, paper ads etc. I'll continue with the felling /climbing of course, just trying to make my life easier as I pass the half century.

Back