Vermeer BC935 capacity and safety?

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

Work has a Vermeer BC935 that I can borrow. Not sure whether it has the gas (35hp) or one of the two diesel engines (42hp & 50hp)...I need to check that, for sure. If for no other reason than to fuel it properly!

I know the infeed is 9" x 9", but I doubt that means I can chuck an 8.75" oak limb in there just because it will fit, right? What diameter material is the upper limit of what the chipper can handle? Does it depend largely on which engine & its torque specs?

Also, I know that I should 1) wear PPE 2) not reach past the end of the table and 3) should feed branches butt first. Any other safety practices that would be good to follow?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perish the thought, Mick! :O

I might consider the proverbial 10-foot pole, which I would quickly let go of if needed! :lol:

It'll have a stress control, so in theory you won't cause a problem putting larger sections in. ie if it can go in, put it in.

I'm not sure how those are set up but watch when putting lengths of wood in. With vertical rollers they swing sideways and with horizontal they can kick up. I've seen a guy get tossed across the yard and another time took an uppercut that almost flipped him over. Same guy actually. He's not to smart. Brush isn't as bad because it'll bend a bit. As you stated PPE is a must but you shouldn't wear chaps when chipping. They're loose fitting and tend to snag a lot ( at least that's what I've been told).
Not sure of the capacity on those either. It'll actually vary by species, and live or deadwood. If it sounds like it's working the machine to hard it's probably to big.

Jeff. There's a fairly recent thread or two that talk about this model of chipper. Gary(Pantheraba) just got one I believe. Check out the thread "chipper a pig in a poke". Read it from then end backwards.

Yep...just bought one...learning about it as I go. I am watching this thread to glean the wisdom of youse guys about my chipper.

You CAN put in a piece of dead dogwood, have it get stuck, lock up the disk and smoke and shred the belt...all in about 5 seconds...luckily I did that while I had it "borrowed" to try it out from the dealer. He made no big deal of it...said the belt was probably dry rotted from sitting up before I bought it. He replaced the belt which is a big deal...actually have to remove the engine on the 935 to do belt replacement. Glad it was him and not me.

And the feed wheels WILL make a long stick dance around and whack you...especially crooked, dog leg things. Keep out of the "whip radius" (my term) on long stuff...limbs just whip you...trunks I can see where they would bust you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure how those are set up but watch when putting lengths of wood in. With vertical rollers they swing sideways and with horizontal they can kick up. ...

As you stated PPE is a must but you shouldn't wear chaps when chipping. They're loose fitting and tend to snag a lot ( at least that's what I've been told).

Not sure of the capacity on those either. It'll actually vary by species, and live or deadwood. If it sounds like it's working the machine to hard it's probably to big.

Jeff. There's a fairly recent thread or two that talk about this model of chipper. Gary(Pantheraba) just got one I believe. Check out the thread "chipper a pig in a poke". Read it from then end backwards.

You CAN put in a piece of dead dogwood, have it get stuck, lock up the disk and smoke and shred the belt...all in about 5 seconds...

And the feed wheels WILL make a long stick dance around and whack you...especially crooked, dog leg things. Keep out of the "whip radius" (my term) on long stuff...limbs just whip you...trunks I can see where they would bust you.

And people think chuck and ducks are dangerous.

Can't imagine why, Sean!

Thanks for all this, guys. Lots of food for thought.

BTW, it's the Wisconsin gas motor, so the least powerful of the three options...

Back