Tool box locks?

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Our chip truck has an old Asplundh box on it with the man cab. One of the tool box locks is giving us troubles and doesn't open smoothly. We want to replace it and we might as well replace them all so they are all keyed the same. Has anyone done this? How easy is it to find replacement locks? Can we do this ourself or should we go to a locksmith to do it?

I called a locksmith to rekey a truck I had bought with a few weather guard boxes and he charged $23 a lock. Have you tried cleaning the lock? Most locks that I have seen are pretty easy to replace but the rekeying is a mystery to me.

It's easy. You can get the whole mechanism or just to little keyed part. Give lonnie a call at ITE in Woodinville, WA. He has all the stuff you need.

You can get them rekeyed at a locksmith. I looked into this. Around $23 each. Locksmith told me its cheaper to buy new. Wouldn't get them all rekeyed.

Just a nut on the back of the door handle. 3/4", I think. Crescent wrench/ open end wrench.

Generally have a number/ letter code. You might be able to order the right replacement lock.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the help. I figured if I have to get one worked on, I might as well get them all done so it would be one key for the whole truck. Right now we have 3 different keys for 4 tool Boxes. $23 per lock sounds like a good deal to me.

Do you pin your boxes? We had someone pry the box edge back once, snapped the lock right open, but the pin held. Of course, they might have been run off by something/someone before they had time to get done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We pin ours but not as often as we should. On weekends for sure. Our yard had 24 hr security and many people coming and going at all hours. I think we are fairly safe. Knock on wood.

When I worked for Asplundh, (years ago), one of the trucks had the boxes broken into. They pried the box panels open to the extent the welds on the pin tubes popped loose. Just rolled the door right off.

Back