Spikes , different route ankle strap ...

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Tried to find the old thread about who takes a wrap around the shank or not , (which I always do and it seems to help) ... I am an old dog but can learn new tricks. Last night on Google this Arborist vid pops up on my feed ... Climber (an Azzie or Kiwi maybe) , run the ankle strap under the Spike , never seen such a thing. Seems to work for him , to the point where I will try this method.

I think I've seen that somewhere, but never tried it. I always make a wrap around the shank. Never done anything else. It seemed to work, and I rolled with it.

I have tried that trick and didn't like it. Too much pressure on the top of the foot and the heel portion of the strap felt too low.

These lower straps from Buckingham give more stability and comfort when compared to anything else I have tried.

I saw Daniels vid at Climbing Arborist a couple days ago. I'll give it a try. I like the straps that DMc mentioned. Seems like I'm always between holes in the leather straps.

I have tried that trick and didn't like it. Too much pressure on the top of the foot and the heel portion of the strap felt too low.

These lower straps from Buckingham give more stability and comfort when compared to anything else I have tried.

I made a set years ago. Sure wish I had made a patent on them. Actually very easy to make!
By far the most stable and comfortable straps I ever had.
the Velcro always hits the perfect spot.
Here is a truly crappy picture of them lol

Attachments

• E9B5DF97-F3AC-45EB-BDDA-FB3FE5F14032.jpeg
    E9B5DF97-F3AC-45EB-BDDA-FB3FE5F14032.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 29
I guess that a low profile heel could give some trouble with this way, more than when catching the shank with the strap.

I used the wrap-around method as recommended by treeboi4life here on my steel Bucks:

The only problem was the gaffs would come loose on the bottom of my Timberlands (especially the left one). Removed the wrap and all's well now.

I've gone with the Velcro wraps top and bottom...I wrap the lower one around the shank from the inside to the outside...nothing else works to keep it in place

Tommy, can't see much with all the woodchips in your picture!!

I've gone with the Velcro wraps top and bottom...I wrap the lower one around the shank from the inside to the outside...nothing else works to keep it in place

Tommy, can't see much with all the woodchips in your picture!!

Sorry, that's the first one I could find. Just that there is no leather strap over the shank!

Pretty sure he was just having some fun. I'm assuming you aren't really climbing in sandals. If you are, that would make for a super interesting thread.

I'm bumfuzzled. This isn't rocket surgery, and it sure isn't as personal a choice as saddle fit, as an example.

Just wrap the effin' strap around the outside of the shank ankle-high, and pull it down almost tighter than you can get it. A half between the strap holes isn't worth notice, take the lesser one. If the strap feels loose after a bit of climbing, just set that spur up at knee high and tighten it another hole or two...it's a nothing thing to do, in the tree. All these wrap around the shank this way or that, or place the strap here or there, are in my opinion very small noise to no great effect.

IMO, the upper strap is far more important, tension-wise. Take it easy there...your calf muscle has to flex and swell as it works. Leave it some room to do so.

I taught, true numbers, hundreds of fledgling spur climbers how to do it. You can go down any path you like...but I'd advise that you at least consider my input :).

The steel insert big buck pads work well for a skinny guy like me. Yes they are huge and hot but they fit snug but not too snug while giving optimal support. I never tried the caddy pads but almost got the smaller metal insert buckingham pads. But after the leather T pads I had I wasn't taking any chances and wanted the most padding available. I've tried the wrap the lower strap around the shank but didn't notice much other then a slightly looser lower strap. I prefer the normal way of attaching the lower strap to snug it up tight. Just my 2 cents

Back