Site cleanup

The easier to adjust deck heights are the ones to go with and in grass it’s not too bad to pull it backwards and it will suck even the bugs and dirt up. Be prepared to get dusty in dry yards

For those of us with a bent metal bent, is high lift as simple as the amount of upward angle on the trailing edge of the blade, the "flap"?

If so $50 on a kijiji mower and some metal forming might be transformative. Not concerned about grass cut quality :)

Yeah that’s right Bart. Just the profile of the back side. Still the quality and aerodynamics of the deck makes a huge difference. I’ve ran $4000 commercial mowers with high lift blades and the vacuum just sucked. 36in decks are notorious for bad vacuum. 48in decks create the cleanest cut. 52in decks aren’t typically as pretty but have a better cut quality and will rip better. But a 36in toro grandstand is an exception, it has amazing vacuum. I know this isn’t a mower thread but every mower is different. I’d hate to see you do all that work on a blade and buy a mower and it not do jack for you. Not to mention to bag size, probability of it clogging, or if it will even get what your cutting into a bag. A lot of times on cheaper push mowers the bag option quickly turns into a mulching attachment and nothing gets in to it. Just my landscape experience, hope it helps!

Thanks. I rebuilt the flap and some leading edge on a small rider I've had for 30 years and had to guess on the flap size. Couldn't buy a replacement. Another time I was straightening a root impact and did the overall end angle with two big crescent wrenches. Kind of overdid the angle on that one. Talking 20ish" single blade for this. The oddity I've spotted is one style of blade with flat and just angle at the end vs another with a weird airfoil or reverse flap inboard of the outermost normal lift section. Could it be doughnut-swirl or some such? Only thing I can think of. I inhaled a crap pile of leaves, vine shards and small twigs into a normal mulcher yesterday (no chain saw dust) and Presto I almost didn't need a blower. That mower has the weird two airfoils blade. On the rider there was a definite audible difference after I refurbed flaps back on.

I figure deck angle of attack, height within reason and possibly adding side shrouds might be factors. Maybe tweak the flaps and the engine governor. Ruh Ruh Ruh!! More horsepower! "If the women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy - pass the duct tape..." - Red Green, Eh

Ito my understanding when the cutting edges has the two different airfoils that’s to help with cutting quality, kinda like a two stage cut. On the back side of the blade where the airlift is, if it has multiple cuts through it, instead of being a single curved piece of steel. That causes a loss of vacuum but creates a mulching effect. You can see a similar but very different concept when you see commercial landscape companies. They buy bad ass mowers and put a mulching plate on the discharge side of the mower. Keeps the thatch (grass clipping) suspended in the machine to get cut longer and they “disappear.” Plus it keeps it from shooting on sidewalks on skinny easements or back at cars and trucks on the highway

I've discovered that some guys get more lift by running a second blade so it's an X, if the machine spindle can accept it. My friend has a ridiculously expensive honda push mower with slightly off 90 degrees X blades. My 30 year old rider has the same configuration as the honda, but at 90 degrees!! Who knew, I always thought it was just wierd.

Transfer hose, urethane, that'll cost you one ball, half an arm and one ear. $500 for 12 feet. Geeze. I'm making one of those direct to bag things. Motor spun 180 into factory holes in the deck. Win! Mower free. Win. Fabrication time, so so. Transfer tube dilemma, gonna be cheap maybe some spare chimney vent tube. If it works in the fall, win. If it sucks up sawdust, win.

Last edited:
measured 2000 fpm out the transfer tube stock mower, stock blade. should be 3 to 4000 according to common air transport literature. feels substantial to the bare hand but numbers don't lie. got to get the bag and mesh mounted up. sure looks odd.

Alot of our clean up is in the quoting process. We tell the potential client exactly what things will look like when we are done and make sure they are ok with that before we show up. It makes the clean up easier and if they get angry about ruts or twigs you can pull up the conversation about how moving 10k in tree parts across a yard will make it look different. Also the stihl 800 blower will move some saw dust.

Back