Setting relief pressure on hydro. Al?

brendonv

Tree Hugger
I need to set the release valve pressure for the new valve on the chipper winch.

Im guessing i can install a t into the system after the valve in a pressure line to the hydro motor? Then activate the system and change accordingly?

Is this correct?

It would be better to just "dead head" the valve with a gauge, this way you know what the pressure is and can adjust it while looking at the gauge. Basically just put the gauge on the output of the valve and adjust the pressure with the relief valve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup. Why are you replacing?

i just installed the winch. The valve didnt come setup. I think they come 1500 psi from factory, we need 2200 psi. I hooked up to a chunk today and wouldnt drag 400 lbs.

i ordered the gauge from napa, should be set tomorrow. i was going to bring it across the street to the const company, but mine as well have a gauge setup of my own for $40.

I got one made up on a hose today. I tripped and dropped it walking out back. The gauge is reading 500 not hooked up to anything, like in my hands. I cant remember if it was like that prior.

I ordered another one but i set it how that one shows for now. I guess it could be 500 off but wont know until monday when it comes.

Damnit.

Lol.

Thats after running back out to the store to get a plug for the hydro line i forgot to get at 8 this morning.

And aren't the hyd. winches governed at like 2000# so you can't rip the infeed off the chipper trying to pull yourself out when you get your rig stuck?

Ya, its not staying on there.

Its back at zero now, weird. I gave it a swift shake. Lol

And no, not 2000#. You set the pressure in the valve so the hydros arent damaged. Bandits setting is 2200 psi. It take a miracle to rip anything apart considering the infeed is rigidly connected all the way through the frame to the tongue. Pulling speed varies in regard to cable size and amount on drum.

Just as general info some thoughts on this .Better quality gauges are liquid filled with glycal to dampen the meter movement so you don't bend the needle in case of a pressure fluctuation .

When they are used in a system for occasonal checks they often have a spring loaded push type valve between the source and the gauge ,kind of like "push to test ".

OK, gotcha! Just curious, do they have a rated pulling power when that valve is set properly? Some guy told me they were "governed" at like 2-3k lbs to prevent breaking anything from reefing on it, but what you are saying makes more sense.

Heres a snip from an email from the bandit guy who helped with part numbers and such. I did use a glycol filled gauged. Ill test it tomorrow to see if the needle funk made a difference. Headed to nyc for the day!

"The relief pressure will be 2200 PSI

Pulling Capacity: Varies 2500# to 4000# depending on Cable size and condition. Hyd pressure settings

Pulling Speed: Varies 110FT/MIN to 225 FT/MIN. depending on size of cable, Amount of cable rolled on the spool, amount of hyd gallons going to the hyd winch motor."

Back