Port Orford Cedar root disease

sotc

Dormant hero!!
A few lousy pix for Sean is all I have. Your looking for this brownish staining in the newest wood trunk or roots. Obviously don't hack up a trunk without being pretty certain the tree is heading out

Attachments

• phytopthera lateralis051.jpg
    phytopthera lateralis051.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 30
  • phytopthera lateralis 052.jpg
    phytopthera lateralis 052.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 30
  • phytopthera lateralis 053.jpg
    phytopthera lateralis 053.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Willie. I'm going over there at 8am to have a look. They only have one PO cedar, and one Western Redcedar. I didn't get an accurate idea of which they were talking about. A lot of phone tag.

I see that the Agri-fos is available "otc" thru TreeStuff, and suggested as a soil drench.

How are the alfalfa pellets to be applied, and in what dosage?

In your pic, is the brownish staining showing to the left side, or is that just the remnant bark? I'm guessing you're posting it as a sign of the disease, not just to show off you hatchet skills.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As a granular on the ground, you'll have to talk to Ribiero about the volume. Just a confirmation to already suspect trees in a natural setting

I cut about a 2 sq. inch section of bark away in two places...dry wood, brown stain. HO said that it was sorta orange in the crown last year, along with the western redcedar. The cedar flagging of the large WRC in the back yard blew out in the winter winds, and is now full and fully green. The PO cedar was significantly orange this year, prompting the call. Its 3' from the retirement aged HO's childhood house. He grew up in it, lived elsewhere for a while, and at the passing of his parents, he inherited the house. His dad had planted it, along with a number of other trees on the property. It has been cabled already due to a large inclusion from codominant trunks at the base, and is looking poorly. Its kinda outgrown its space, between the house and a thick redwood in the front yard. Looks like the PO is gonna go away.

No camera today.

Back