Pole saw

For ground work wooden ash poles with one of the hooked heads on it. I think we use ARS blades where I work. They work real nice. Used to have basswood poles which were much lighter and better to tote around the tree but we stopped being able to find those for sale.

For climbing I've used the wicked tough pole saw. It's 12 ft too and really nice in that you can carry it around the tree with you all folded up and it's only 30 something inches collapsed. And the blade folds into a sheath so no worries about it picking your ropes.

For those extra long reaches we have an ARS extendable pole saw that goes to about 21 ft or maybe a little more. It's aluminum and can get bent up fairly easily but is a great tool to have. Can save you some climbing

My fav was a 14' basswood pole with the mondo blade.

Hard to find basswood these days. Super light , flex but strong .....no splinters like ash pole.

Used several silkys, Jameson etc.....basswood was still the best

I like a 12 or 14' fiberglass pole with mondo blade, basically indestructible fast easy cutting combo.

Wood poles are good imo but they don't last like fiberglass.

I'm a die hard Silky Hayauchi 21' polesaw fan. With 4 sections it's very versatile.
Can use it in the tree too. Some people find it a bit bendy, we never have.

Well I think that you are one little badass climber, Bermy! I love Silky, too but will grab the much lighter Longboy unless I absolutely need the extra length of the Hayauchi.

I hear you Dave...I can mange the Hayauchi in the tree if I have to, but have often looked at the longboy for a little more 'body friendly' option!

Don't care for pole Saws I got a short aluminum pizza flipping pole flat like the stihl ones with a silky blade only 6 feet or so for reaching palm flowers only use for a polesaw....power pole Saws are hack tools combo

Old School here , have one hook on Octagonal Wood...all others Marvin snap on heads ....Jameson Yellows for Poles...Sold off my Stihl HT to landscaper buddies

I found a power pruner very useful at times. Never done any landscaping though. Having a bucket makes a difference I'm sure. I would be surprised if anyone with a bucket doesn't have one or think it's useful.

I may be a hack.

I do tons of pruning and a bunch of take downs too. I rarely go out without an extendable power pole saw and a grouping of other pole pruners and saws.

Different trees and growing patterns from one area to another is one thing I have noticed may account for how little use some people have for them.

Whatever, I make money with mine, save time and effort. And my trees look stunning.

If you're inclined toward poles try them out where they make sense.

Kinda like ladders. I use the heck out of a 10' and a 16' orchard ladder, tying in sometimes to use the 16'. A very light-duty (200 pound rating) aluminum extension ladder is what I call "taking the stairs", again sometimes tied in. Can save a hundred or more feet of climbing per day while pruning, and all leg power.

Couple that with a power pruner, and I saved a lot of climbing the other day. 5 trees crowns' were interlocked, and they were were multi-trunk messes of conifers. Canopy raising them all meant climbing into each multiple times.

I don't prune much with a power pole saw, hard to control with precision in some situations, easy in others. Good for stubbing off the beginnings of some canopy raises, and some removals.

On many a day, neither pole tools or ladders come out, too.

Back