Older stihl 066 HD question

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
This is my 2nd older stihl 066 and this one has me CORNfused. Since some of you guys like Willard have bought these new you might be able to help me figure this one out.

On the carb base of the HD set up on this one there was no gasket and dont have the 4 holes like my other one to hold that gasket in place. So was there a gasket there? It dont appear there ever was.

Projectsaws 012.jpg HDstihlgasketbase.JPG

Kevin I never had a HD airfilter setup on my 066 but had it on one of my 064s. I'll have to dig through my saws to see but I believe that gasket was part of the airfiter. I remember the blue sock over the filter.

Willard.

In my IPL's on paper it shows that gasket which should be part number 1124 129 -0900 on the 064 and 066 heavy duty filter set up .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mine does too Al. But as you can see no holes for the gasket to attach to on this early 066. That's what has me cornfused.

I'm not so sure that's the right backer plate according to the pictures on the IPL's .I looked at the 064,064/066 and two 066's .If you get a chance some time get the number from the backer and I might be able to cross reference it . I think my paper IPL's might contain a tad more than the CD

Last HD filter set up I ordered for my 066 did not come with that gasket. I pulled the filter and as I remembered, the lower part of the HD filter is like a rubber gasket. Mine seems fine seated as is with no sign of material getting past the filter bottom. Your plastic part/seat where the filter sets above the carb looks more like my 044 than my 066 however.

Thanks Al.. Backer Plate you called it.. Looks like from an 044

The orange part that is discolored is plastic and attached permanently to tank handle assembly (unless drilled out). The carb part that goes onto it with HD part is metal.
I also think the new HD filters with the rubber on the bottom will work too without problems.

I'm going to go check 044 stuff to see. Thanks for ideas.

This is the one on my 066

!CDnE+!g!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!l8Ez+2n8T-GBNPJnKBi2g~~0_12.JPG

There are a few different configurations in my IPL. I don't suppose you can see a part number on it.
Maybe I will order a couple gaskets I never knew about... :lol:

My 2 066 early ones, have nothing like that. Both HD filters though.

I'll check on numbers soon. Got to go dig for some 5000 parts for someone too.

Got out in the barn today as I carefully skated across the ice. I pulled that carb base part off the 066 and it is 1122 124 3410

Copy of Projectsaws 039.jpg Copy of Projectsaws 040.jpg

Not that it helped, but here is the 064 IPL for anyone that needs it.

I also have the 064 066 service manual, but I think 31MB might be to big to load here.

View attachment Stihl 064.pdf

Just so you all know. I got most of the stihl and husky. Just not the newest stuff.

As per the two 066 IPL's that is the correct number .The 064 gives # 1122-120- 3405 as the base for the heavy duty filter .

Kevin that gasket is from an old [1980s] 064 without the intelli-carb compensater setup. Here is my 064 HD filter with your gasket installed. Cover # is 9 1122 124 3405. The blue foam sock that covered the airfilter is long gone.

Willard.

Attachments

• Stihl HD airfilter 002.jpg
    Stihl HD airfilter 002.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Stihl HD airfilter 004.jpg
    Stihl HD airfilter 004.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 5
Got out in the barn today as I carefully skated across the ice. I pulled that carb base part off the 066 and it is 1122 124 3410

View attachment 30511

Kevin that gasket is from an old [1980s] 064 without the intelli-carb compensater setup. Here is my 064 HD filter with your gasket installed. Cover # is 9 1122 124 3405. The blue foam sock that covered the airfilter is long gone.

Willard.

Thanks for info and time to check and share.

You can see on the back of mine which is a 1122 part also, it has the indent area where the gasket 4 corners could have been put in later. Wonder what the deal was with it.

I'm just going to use the newer HD filters with the rubber gasket on the bottom of filter and see what happens.

Thanks for info and time to check and share.

You can see on the back of mine which is a 1122 part also, it has the indent area where the gasket 4 corners could have been put in later. Wonder what the deal was with it.

I'm just going to use the newer HD filters with the rubber gasket on the bottom of filter and see what happens.

If the filter doesn't seat well with that gasket on, you can always pull the gasket out and plug the 4 holes with clear silicone gasket maker.

If the filter doesn't seat well with that gasket on, you can always pull the gasket out and plug the 4 holes with clear silicone gasket maker.

Mine dont have holes to fill. Thats what we were trying to figure out, why this 066 didnt have the holes for the gasket and then no gasket at all. 066 HD base pic

Well something is definately amiss there .

I'm not so sure if Stihl might have used the same numbers on slightly different parts .One example is a set of cases for a Stihl 038 Mag that Wes from Lousiana sent me .

These things had the exact numbers as the ones I was replacing but the bolt pattern was incorrect plus there were provisions for a set of breaker points and none of the 038's ever had breakers that I'm aware of .

The whole thing is working out to be a great mystery it seems .

This is just my thoughts on what happened and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

Look at Willard's HD old style filter. Solid metal on bottom with no gasket on filter.

The new HD filters have a gasket on the filter. I bet they thought at one point, no gasket put on carb bases, since gasket was on filters, then later on they went back to gasket on carb bases and gasket on HD filters together for a better seal.

Just my WAG.

Back