Oil Spill triage kit. What do you carry?

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
Back when, I remember the first day on the job, maybe second, and the boss' chipper blew a hydraulic hose.

When I did work with herbicide, there were spill kits.

Thinking forward, toward an inevitable experience, as some point I'll need to clean up after a blow hydraulic hose from my dump truck or Boxer.

What do you carry? What do you use?

Wood chips as a first line of defense. Go to the market for kitty litter as next step

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chips are great, and the hydro leak will not come from the chipper. Problem is, I don't carry chips to the job, usually. Probably should put some kitty litter in the rig. If I do, maybe no leaks, if I don't, almost guaranteed.

Don't over think it, there's always dirt or chips somewhere around. If your boxer is your concern, you aren't facing the risk of losing 20 gallons at once. Scoop some dirt or chips on it and worry more about a new hose.

Agreed. I keep the mats in the truck anyway for under the saws. My biggest concern about a spill is if a line blows while the chipper is running and your back is turned. At that point, it's too late anyway. If some thing suddenly starts dropping, it's sand and Pigmats, then off to repair it. Most of my jobs are within fifteen miles of the shop and five of a decent parts place.

Sorta better to have something and not need it, than need it an not have it. 5 pounds of kitty litter might be a start.

We live in a very eco-conscious area, and I'm a tree hugger. Puget Sound water quality went into the toilet, and is rebounding. I work very close to the water a lot. There are resident pods of orcas in the Sound, giant squids, 300' long, krakens galore, crazy stuff undiscovered.

:lol:

Keep a digging spade handy then. You'll have a useful tool on board and a spill cleaner upper. The line to the oil pressure gauge on your Wayne chipper will let out a good bit of oil if it blows off the gauge ever. Trust me on that one. It happened once. If you want to be Eco friendly, reduce excess gear being hauled to every job. That'll go 100 times farther then keeping a spill kit handy when dirt and wood chips will have the same effect. If you Are set on spill clean up being on board wherever you go, kitty litter. Can't beat it.

Fuel mileage is an important consideration, as I pack heavy, but return trips for a left-behind something adds up, too.

Back