New chipper

Most of the Chevy step vans (think Grumman's)of the late 60's were painted the two I have in Vermont have held up well. It's all in the prep

Paint is all about prep. The prep job determines the whole outcome of the paint. Don't skimp on the prep. Im sure you will hire it out, and don't be afraid to ask about how they prep the body. One cut corner on the prep work and the paint will blow right off with a pressure washer in 2 months. Ive had it happen to me on work trucks when I got screwed by a body shop. Also, I recommend having tree trucks done in a single stage paint. You don't get the highest shine in the world, but it is very shiny, but its cheaper to have done, and very durable. Plus, scuffs and scratches hide well on single stage paint, and scuffs and scratches happen eventually. All my stuff gets done in single stage.

I've heard that before- that it's all in the prep. But what is it exactly that they are prepping. When painting aluminum, what does that entail?

I wanna know the right questions to ask.

Primer is cheap. Automotive grade paint is expensive. Not that bad though. With paint jobs, you're really paying more for the work then anything. A painted chip body might have a few hundred bucks in materials into, max. That's talking base and clear coat, not single stage.

Back