Making Stihl MS440 Bars fit a Husqvarna 372 X-Torq

Reddog

TreeHouser
I had asked some questions in another thread and Ed L, Mangus and Holmen Tree where very helpful in showing me some options. Thank you.

So here is what I did, if it helps some one else good. :)
First you need some sort of stud adapter, you could purchase or make your own.
Here is what I made using simple shop tools.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I ordered a 10 pack of .5 dia with a .250 thru hole 3/16 thick aluminum spacer from Mcmaster Carr Part# 92510A761.
Put 4 of them on a 1/4 bolt and tighten. Place in a drill press and then us a file to reduce the outside dia. to .470
Take a block of wood of plastic and drill a 1/2 hole through, then cut a slot so it will squeeze down when clamped.
Place a bushing in the hole clamp down and then drill the center out using an 11/32 drill. It will drill enough oversized to fit the 9mm stud.
Now the bar is 3/16 thick so you will need to reduce the thickness a few thousands. I just place the bushing over a screw head in the bench and take a couple swipes on each side with the file. Debur and your bushings are complete. A not about filing aluminum, it likes to gum up files use WD-40 or kerosene on your file to keep it from sticking. And a wire brush or file card help to clean out the teeth.

Now on to the Bar modifications.
First thing I did was to chamfer the oil holes using a die grinder and 1/8 carbide burr, as the Stihl holes are half a hole dia higher on the bar.
standard.jpg

Next place layout lines to show 1/2 longer slot towards the nose end.
standard.jpg

Then using a .045 cutoff wheel in my 4 1/2" grinder, I held tight to the sides and moved forward.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Then flip the bar over and finish the slots from the other side.
Then remove the material in the middle.
standard.jpg

Use a file to debur.

Now you need to decide if you want to grind down the tensioning pin or drill out the hardened bar to 1/4" clearance. I chose to remove and grind down the pin on the bench grinder to fit the .230 dia hole.

Here is how it looks mounted.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I picked 1/2" because on all the bars I tried 16", 20" and 28", that seemed like the best number to have room to mount the Stihl length chain.
So now I can swap my current bars and chains between both brands.

If you have a mill and lathe great use them. I didn't and need to come up with an alternative bush plan.
Enjoy! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, I just prefer Stihl bars and chains over the other makes available.
Plus with my switch from Stihl to Husky I need to use up my extras.
Plus everything I did only took 2-3 hours, made four bushings and converted 4 bars. Almost took me longer to type than do.:)

Nice. The Stihl ES bars do seem to last forever compared to the Oregon bars, and it seems like Oregon has bought up virtually every other brand on the market. I ran GB bars for years but they are no longer available and I've used up almost all my stash. Seems like a bit of work but considering other options it's a very good alternative.

I just had to open a 16" new bar I bought for a Partner 550 just a tad to fit the shoulders 268/272 I put it on.

Those adaptors are basically what I've done with the exception mine are made of steel .

The first few I carved the whole thing to size from round stock .The last few I just went to the tool room at work and got scrape ends of metric round stock from the scape tub .

The thing about Stihl bars or those intended to go on a Stihl is they are readily available where some of the older mount designs are not .

Nice. The Stihl ES bars do seem to last forever compared to the Oregon bars, and it seems like Oregon has bought up virtually every other brand on the market. I ran GB bars for years but they are no longer available and I've used up almost all my stash. Seems like a bit of work but considering other options it's a very good alternative.
I think you could order GB on line if nothing else..

http://www.gbbar.com.au/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Magnus, when I had looked to order GB online I could not find the orange titanium line any more. And from what I had read those where the bars everyone liked.

Back