Lightning protection

Page

TreeHouser
So I've been apart of putting lighting protection in a redwood tree. That was easy because it was single leader and ground around it was soft for digging. And I climbed a big oak with protection already in it and got to check it out a little. Now I might have the opportunity to install protection in a beautiful big old sycamore. I have little experience so my questions are this;
How long are the rods in the canopy?
Is it ok to have one main thicker wire in the middle and smaller ones to the sides?
Is the grounding rod ok to be at the drip line and 10' deep?
And is there anything I'm missing?
I am aware of using brass connectors to hold copper wire. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Unless the canopy is really spread out you only need one air terminal and down lead. Only when the leaders are 30' apart do you need multiple air terminals and conductors. Ten feet away from the trunk and ten feet deep. Avoid sharp turns with the conductor and keep it on the side facing away from the house if possible. The isa bmp is a good resource. Fencing pliers are handy.

No 'rods' in the canopy. ? aerial terminal as high as possible.
not needed to have one main thicker wire in the middle and smaller ones to the sides
grounding rod better at the drip line than 10' away; less roots to cut and moister = better grounding. 8' is standard in most soil types.

Route the conductor where it will not impede future climbing.
BMP is limited but good. and visit the Morris Arboretum near you; many systems there. Ask for Robert Wells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Morris arboretum is a great place. I have been there many times. Did you use to live up here?

BMP will remain limited because A300 limits innovation, which is bad for big business.

But it will still answer those questions.

Back