Horse Racing

vharrison

Island Girl
John and I are going to our first horse race this weekend. The Florida Derby runs on Saturday. We would like to place a bet or two but know nothing about doing that. Any one been to a horse race and bet before? Any tips?:?:?

V, I've been reading a book about the subject. To place a wise bet, you really have to study, and that requires looking into the history of the horses, how they do with the conditions on the track that day and how many furlongs, the jockeys, and the trainers. In addition to that, I think I have left out more than a few things. Basically, it is rather complex. A friend of mine does well betting on the ponies, parking his winnings in overseas banks A basic part of his strategy is that the favorites win the race a relatively high percentage of the time. The odds change as the horses are moving to the gate, and the smart money starts getting laid down then. Hold off your bet and put your money on the favorite that gets shown at the last possible time before they no longer will take bets. He only bets on "to win", and the theory is that you win more than you lose, and how much he bets each race makes that happen. Have fun and maybe you will get lucky! That being said, I have never bet on a race.

Besides study (track conditions, jockey, horse, etc.... ), Figure a budget.. per race. Period..
Bet Win, place and show...(trifecta?) and a couple of single tickets of win, place or show..
If you win.. great! Spend or leave...
Just NEVER go over your budget.

In a way it's kind of neat to watch .

My uncle John was trainer then an owner .He lived in Deleon Springs Florida but had a string of harness horses that raced in Liberty Bell in I think Philidelphia Pa and other places .Horse people are a breed all their own .

Uncle John was a BS artist .My other uncle said John would tell a falsehood when the truth would suffice better .He was a dandy but I liked the old fart .

I've heard that it's good to only bet at the well known tracks. Bad stuff goes on at smaller venues, like horses getting juiced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all! I have been following your recommendations already! The horse, the trainer, the owner, the track and the conditions. I agree totally with sticking to the budget! We are looking at it as a date, and what ever we might spend like going out to dinner or something, that is it!!

It is a small world I tell ya. One horse that I have been looking at for a win is Cairo Prince, turns out my son in law's cousin works for the owner of that horse. I heard this morning that Cairo Prince is their Kentucky Derby hopeful.

I used to go with my Uncle every Tuesday to watch the dogs run at Greyhound Park in Tuscon. Rode there in his '59 Edsel each week.

There is a lot involved in picking right for winning as has been mentioned. I had help in choosing and usually came away even or a couple dollars up or down.

Hope you have a great time, and stick to that budget!

I haven't had a bet since '96. Catbird was my last, that was an omen. Got about even with that one for all the previous years losses. I don't even watch the big races anymore but it was fun once.

catbird.jpg

Hope you have fun at the Derby Gigi, the big races are fun days. Ladies are big on hats here on race days, they pay crazy money for them. Drives my mother nuts, she was a milliner once but people stopped wearing hats and she gave it up.

I used to go with my Uncle every Tuesday to watch the dogs run at Greyhound Park in Tuscon. Rode there in his '59 Edsel each week.

I used to go most Saturday nights back in the late 70's, Harold Park or Wentworth Park. Most corrupt form of racing you could imagine, but great if you "knew" someone. I did for a while.

I had a good system as well, but all good things come to an end and then it's time to give it away.

I haven't had a bet since '96. Catbird was my last, that was an omen. Got about even with that one for all the previous years losses. I don't even watch the big races anymore but it was fun once.

catbird.jpg

Hope you have fun at the Derby Gigi, the big races are fun days. Ladies are big on hats here on race days, they pay crazy money for them. Drives my mother nuts, she was a milliner once but people stopped wearing hats and she gave it up.

I used to go most Saturday nights back in the late 70's, Harold Park or Wentworth Park. Most corrupt form of racing you could imagine, but great if you "knew" someone. I did for a while.

I had a good system as well, but all good things come to an end and then it's time to give it away.

My daughter is insisting I wear a hat. I bought one (did not pay big money for it) and I am taking it back today. Might get the other one I was looking at. I just don't think I can pull a hat off! :lol:

There's a zillion and one tricks to "handicap" a horse .They play with the shoes to slow them down etc .When they get the odds high enough they speed them up .Playing the ponys is about like playing the house in Vegas .Eventually the house wins and like wise so do the bookies .

Today is the day, track is about 3 hours from us. Looking forward to getting off the island and experiencing something new! It will be a long day, probably won't be home till around 10pm.

I did not know Bobby Flay (tv chef) had stables and actually has a horse running in the derby.

Silly, but I think this is a bucket list check.

Back