Flushing out the crank case

Al, it is awesome to be able to use the lathe to make your own tools. Let's see, how much is a lathe???:whine:
That one was the buy of the century .That's a Monarch 10" EE toolmakers lathe .Most likely one the most accurate lathes ever made .

The last one of it's kind was at Monarch in Sidney Ohio with a price tag of over a hundred thou .The one sold prior to that went to United aircraft at around 90 thou .The one at work ,early 90's cost 68 thou .

Old Al the hustler got that 1957 gem for 800 cash .;)

The other 038 that I'm "magnumizing" had a godawful mess of blackish oil under the drum side cover so I suspect it has a bad seal,so I got new seals for it today as well as for the 026.Plus replaced some other worn tidbits. This "nickel & dime" stuff really adds-up :cry:
I guess thats what happens when you rescue saws that have lived an abused life and want to put them as new again (or better than new:D).
I'm interested in finding out more on putting the 044 carb on an 026 (maybe I read it in some of Brians posts ?)Does it just bolt on ? Is it a good match for a woods ported saw ?Is it a fuel hog ?
Just wonderin ? Probably won't shell out the dough though, unemployment cuts into the "toy budget".
Thanks
Steve

Steve, the oil gunk under the clutch may just be cooked bar oil from cutting with a dull chain or leaving the chain brake on from time to time. Always do a pressure / vacuum test before tear down to see if there are any leaks anywhere and repeat before start-up to make sure they were fixed or that you didn't create one. This is the most overlooked thing that can really make a difference since even a big air leak can be masked by tuning the carb, but then the saw will never stay in tune.
As far as carb swapping goes it is a real pain. Just opening up the muffler a little and then adjusting the H screw will make a big difference, and there is usually enough range in the stock carb to get plenty of fuel in. Most pro saws, STIHL anyway, have a bypass jet that feeds 50% or more of the fuel at WOT, and then you tune for the rest with the H screw. So the jet can be replaced with a bigger one to give you more sensitivity back with the H screw if the engine has been muffler modded or ported. In my opinion, it would take a lot more air going through an 026 to justify a bigger carb.

That one was the buy of the century .That's a Monarch 10" EE toolmakers lathe .Most likely one the most accurate lathes ever made .

The last one of it's kind was at Monarch in Sidney Ohio with a price tag of over a hundred thou .The one sold prior to that went to United aircraft at around 90 thou .The one at work ,early 90's cost 68 thou .

Old Al the hustler got that 1957 gem for 800 cash .;)

Heck of a deal...
Right place at the right time!

Ha,that's pretty much the key to a lot of things .:lol: It's kind of been my life style .However if I bought every good deal that came along I'd need a warehouse about the size of a small airport .

Ha,that's pretty much the key to a lot of things .:lol: It's kind of been my life style .However if I bought every good deal that came along I'd need a warehouse about the size of a small airport .

and your going to start building this warehouse when????

Oh I've already got a little one ,60 by 70 .

I could have made a kings ransom in my life time if I only could sell things . I can't sell chit .I can buy though with the best of them . I'm the worlds best hustler and the worlds worst salesman .:( It just isn't right .

Back