Cylinder plating

Gus260

Treehouser
Does anyone know of a company that is willing to bore and replate a 500i cylinder? I've talked to multiple who won't do it because it's blind or because I don't have a company to send it to them. Let me know if you know anyone.
Thanks, Gus

You might try Dave at CCC racing in Colunbus Ohio .I do know he has been over boring them with cast iron liners like I did a 125 Mac many years ago .I assume he might have connections with US Chrome

Why not go a step further and plate the cast iron sleeve for increased durability? It is no longer a blind cylinder until the sleeve gets installed.

Last cylinder I had re-nikasil-ed was by a company in quebec. KDX80 dirt bike, sent with new piston for final sizing. Over 10 years ago. Apparently Stihl internalized plating operations years ago, used to be sent out.

Isn't the point of nikasil or similar wear durability and better heat transfer i.e. delete the steel layer and steel wear contact interface?

I guess a an aluminum liner could be used if plated first. It would be much quicker and easier to port. My whole idea was finding a way of getting the benefit of plating in a blind bore cylinder.

Were you offered an explanation as to why a closed top cylinder couldn't be re-plated? The factories do it, presumably? Maybe jigging for the re-bore is too difficult. The original nikasil process was a gnarly plasma explosion - then bore to size and surface. Maybe the process has changed.

No aluminum liner is needed as the wear through of the original coating down to the aluminum is the same basic dimension as the re coating thickness. Excessive damage might be tigged and pre-bored prior to plating. That's my recollection.

edit - google replating chainsaw cylinder, you'll get U.S. Chrome, nkasil vs chrome plate, cast vs forged pistons and diamond hones vs closed ports. hope that helps ;)

Last edited:
Back