Cass Turnbull

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
Plant Amnesty International
Were working on putting together a workshop thru a local nursery, with Cass speaking about reclaiming an overgrown garden, and another yet to be determined subject, and the head lady from the ag extension office about local diseases, new diseases, sod update.....
10 bucks admission, 10 bucks sack lunch from a local caterer, ceu's applied for , awaiting isa confirmation...

Anyone been to one of her seminars?
i was thinking about her slide show on tree pruning/ tree pruning horrors, cause the basic pruning can get boring....any suggestions?

Anyone in my area want to take her on a rec climb? Jer, willie?

looking like mid november, would any of you bay area / surrounding areas arbs come for ceu's?

curiously awaiting the bars reply

have been a member for a number of years, too much hassle to get down to the usa of a to see a talk, 10 bucks for the seminar is nothingm the 3 hour drive with border crossing is a pain in the arse.

nope, havent been to see her, she seems a bit tyranical, I would like to see a talk just to get a better idea of what she is about.

I saw here once in WI. She was a bit too much for me..... and most would consider me an egg sucking liberal tree hugger..... at least thats what my dad calls me.

I followed her web site for a while, and seen her at the shows. Cass has pronounced activist tendencies and beats a really big drum.

Her cause is a good one, but she goes at it with a sledge hammer. A little too high strung for me to associate with or even think of taking on a climb.

But thanks for asking anyway.

Kinda feel like others on the subject, besides, she would want names and addresses of who topped all those forest trees:D

Don't lower your frontyard Rhody too much or you will get Blacklisted, and they always will name names!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah jer, i get ya,
im not big on activism, but you know how it is here , some people eat that up
the problem here is if i try to do an isa press release, it wont go out,
the papers editor says he'd have to verify the isa press release with the other tree services here and get the opinions of non arbs, before he'd think of printing it, and doesnt
they also say im all about promoting my business, well id like to see an end to topping our beautiful urban trees , ive inquired about an ordinance , one thats simple and asks to work within the standards, and that contractors have proof of lic and ins on file with the city, no permit type stuff, just good pruning, and loosen up and let people remove the old topped trees and replant

basically help promote good arborculture

people in arcata and garberville have been really excited to hear she's coming

id like to make it so we can get some ceu's locally as well

i havent met her before, but am interested to meet her

Well if you thought someone was a safety Nazi wait till you meet her

are you saying she's a plant nazi?

The guy in the safety nazi thread is a whole different scenario (weenie)

Ive seen in this forum, comments about how she wants to know who did unethical work
and publishes the names of who did it ,
i guess your work is your signature then.
I havent met or talked to her, she's spoken with my wife, and the folks im doing this with, and everyones been positive about her
but these are nursery people, plant club people, naturalists etc, so maybe she speaks to a certain crowd of people, i know here i still get protested on occasion, 2 x this summer so far, so i think she has an audience.
i'm interested to find out who and how she really is, do they have anything on you tube?

See Jer,
this thread is giving me info to look into,
I guess in a slide show setting, a pic of a hatrack with the company name under could be viewed both ways, depends on whats said afterwards
thats surely got to be controversial .

Cass is an authority on shrubs more than trees. nothing wrong with that--more arbs should get to know shrubs so they can stay busy as they age. ;) I had one backandforth about tree reduction methods in a tci piece she did and that never got resolved totally; i forget why but id did not sense a lot of interest in getting into the nitty-gritty of looking at the grey areas between topping and reduction.

Totally support PA, and gave her props in my 3rd dendro; she is "Cassie A. Ternstroemia", toward the end. And to paraphrase goldwater, Activism in defense of healthy trees is no vice. :)

Attachments

• Dendro 3 Waxmyrtles.pdf
    102 KB · Views: 9
Cass is an authority on shrubs more than trees. nothing wrong with that--more arbs should get to know shrubs so they can stay busy as they age. ;)

Totally support PA, and gave her props in my 3rd dendro; she is "Cassie A. Ternstroemia", toward the end. And to paraphrase goldwater, Activism in defense of healthy trees is no vice. :)

Hey Guy,
Thanks for the positive info, i'm hoping to up the knowledge base of the consumer, and if i do it im a capatilist, if i sponser her im an activist or something of the likes, tsk..what to do

well, my tree work involves no hacking, i feel every tree i touch is like a child of mine, and i give every bit of my being to making a tree a thing of beauty, they are my signature, they are my words that i cannot speak, they are the love i cannot show to the world except thru them.
so i guess since i turn down topping and such, i guess im a purist, activist, whatever
i just love trees, and lose myself when im caring for them.

to quote hatebreed
every drop of blood, every bead of sweat, every tear i shed
I live for this.

November 14th is the date
County of humboldt ag extension office
there will be pest applicator ceu's as well as the already applied for arb ceu's, looks like an sod update, and maybe some on other pests
its growing and taking shape quickly
room has seating for 60, $20.00 with lunch

Back