BT45

Matagorn

Treehouser
Hey guys. I’ve got to install a few bracing rods soon. Any tips from those who use a Stihl BT45 drill on how to not tear or twist my wrists off when it inevitably gets stuck? Doesn’t happen every time but enough that it worries me. Is the Echo drill better in this regard? Thanks in advance for any input

Clear the chips every half an inch!! Usually bites and twists when the auger bit gets loaded up.
I have a now-quite-old Tanaka that has been great. It'll also twist you up if you forget to clear the chips.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clear the chips every half an inch!! Usually bites and twists when the auger bit gets loaded up.
I have a now-quite-old Tanaka that has been great. It'll also twist you up if you forget to clear the chips.
To do this you just pull it out while it’s still running forward correct?

Yes, because once you have the bit buried a few inches in - it can not spit out the chips, and it'll lock up on you.
It is an in and out routine.If you can't pull it back you waited too long. put it in revrse, back the bit out a little and proceed to advance just a little, pull back until you see chips falling out, then back in... repeat.

Yes, because once you have the bit buried a few inches in - it can not spit out the chips, and it'll lock up on you.
It is an in and out routine.If you can't pull it back you waited too long. put it in revrse, back the bit out a little and proceed to advance just a little, pull back until you see chips falling out, then back in... repeat.
Thanks amigo. I sprained my wrists a wee bit today testing the old drill out. I was backing it out, but not frequently enough.

Bees wax in the flutes helps with jamming. But the main thing as said is keep the hole cleaned out.

You already got the tool?
Always wondered if these gadgets were any good.

View attachment 106418View attachment 106419
I have the BT45 drill. Hadn’t used it in years. Interesting. Never heard of the chainsaw attachment.

Back