Beeline

The top splice (Nicks) still has the inversion. I don't use that method so I don't remember how it gets worked out.

I think the reason for that method is so you don't have to pass a long standing end through. With short pieces like split-tails and prusiks, you don't need to do it that way.

Cool- I'm glad we're all seeing this the same way.

In the bottom splice, I did a standard locking brummel. The tail goes through the standing end, the standing end goes through the tail, then bury the tail. No inverting or anything. This is the way the locking brummell

To make the top splice, I passed the tail through the standing part. Then I passed the tip of the tail through the tail itself. This doesn't form a lock, it just leaves you with a half formed eye and a messed up tail (sounds like a lady you hook up with after a few too many drinks). Now normally, I'd pass the eye through this messed up inverted tail. In doing so, the tail would un-invert and end up looking just like the bottom splice again. In the splice here, I passed the standing end through the inverted tail, then buried the tail. In the pic, the eye has been formed, but the tail never got un-inverted.

Jim- there is a couple ways your splice could have ended up this way.

One- you could be doing as I just described here, switching between directions inadvertently.

Two- you could be inverting the eye the wrong way. I invert mine from the top down. This fixes itself when the eye passes through. If you invert from the bottom up, you would end up with a doubly inverted tail. As Paris Hilton would say- that's hot.

Three- you could be skipping the initial inversion, then when you pass the eye through the tail, instead of uninverting, you're inverting.

Four- the final possibility I can see is goblins. When you are not looking, and after you have completed the splice, they come along and reweave the rope in the wrong manner.

Play around with it a bit. I think you'll get it figured out after some trial and error. I hope you'll report back on what you find. I'm interested to know if the prob is being caused by one of the 4 choices I thought of here, or is there something else causing it that I can't see.

Keep the pics flowing- it helps a lot!

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
when ive done the brummel before i did it from the bottom up to invert it so this is probably why it turned out this way, ill have a go with it on the weekend. ill let you know how it goes and posts some pics up.

Would you say that the ones ive done are safe to climb off?? or should i just toss them out or try and redo them

If I didn't have a way of break testing them to find out what I was dealing with, I'd just toss them.

I feel like a psychiatrist that just had a major breakthrough with a patient. We're just made a huge step to getting the issue solved!

love
nick

Ya know, with stuff that's not 100' long or something, you don't have to invert at all; just Standing part through, tail through, taper and bury.

That's the easiest way, when it is possible. The way I splice beeline/hrc, I don't take the cover completely off the core, so it's easier to do this mobius style locking brummel.

If the rope is very firm, I sure don't mind pulling 100' of rope through to form a good splice, though!

love
nick

Blinky- that avatar would be more appropriate if it was a .gif that blinked every now and then!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well now i fell like an idiot!! That picture was the only one i stuffed up in the end. i un tied the whiplock and had a lock at all the ones i had done and they were not in correct id done the properly thought i had except for that one i posted up. Thanks heaps guys for the comments made me think how have i done it??

This is fun. We are all getting the chance to learn together.

It's good that you took the others apart to look at them. Now you KNOW what you are climbing on.

love
nick

Back