Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Pistol Grip

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • It Doesn't Matter

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I've operated many different bucket trucks over the years and I'm positive I like the lever controls over the pistol grip style. Besides being simpler to maintain, levers don't give you such a workout (brand new ones SUCK!).

Thoughts? :drink:

Ive never had the opportunity to run either stye. Some day maybe.
So I voted for it doesn't matter

Pistol is easiest imo. Especially to run from either hand. Easier to multifunction anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My first bucket was a High Ranger with a PG. The next few were with levers, and I currently run an Altec with PG levers. PG's are cool for the first 20 years, but after that levers are way easier to operate, IMO.

A topic near to my heart: I just switched to Terex pistol grip after about 20 years of ALC levers. The levers are way, way, far better than the PG. Levers are totally ergonomic where the pg is not, they are easier and faster to do precision movements with, and when located at the front of the bucket (as opposed to between the boom and bucket) they are used easily with either hand which is another example of the ergonomics. PG sucks, and the only way I could get any smoothness, productivity, and ease of use with it was to tie shut the enable lever in the pg, the thing thats built into the pg handle which needs to be closed by gripping the pg before it will operate. Disengaging safety stuff is stupid but I couldn't get any decent performance out of the pg without doing that.

I could go on but the way of the world now seems to be pg. Btw terex makes levers too which are a joke as they have enable lockouts on each lever too. ALC levers have no lockouts. I talked to their service guy who has seen every type of bucket truck accident/mishap ever created and he had never heard of any issues with levers being accidentally activated by something other than the operators hand.

I talked to alot of people over the years about pg vs levers and everyone who had used both preferred levers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm telling ya - PG will tear you UP! Carpal tunnel your wrist, cramp your hands and tear up your shoulder.

I'm telling ya - PG will tear you UP! Carpal tunnel your wrist, cramp your hands and tear up your shoulder.

Yup, that's the short answer

If you tie closed the enabler portion, you can save alot of grief for your body, and use 2 hands on the pg when called for, which helps too.

MB, you had a post awhile back I believe where you talked about pruning or TD'g a tree that day with your bucket with PG, you said it was the only way to fly?!? i.e., PG rocks?

Or maybe it wasn't bothering you that day.

Back