Any firewood guys/gals on here?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Whud up peeps, I just landed a large firewood sale about 10-15 cords a year to a gated community and the guy that was supplying the wood sold it by the piece!?! $65 for a 130 pcs and $135/230 pcs delivered and stacked WTF and the wood he was delivering split down to the size of a 1x2, tiny. Now I looked up how many pcs to a face cord and found a figure of 200/230. I have never sold wood by the piece just by the face cord and cord. I'm going to have to change that. Just Talking out loud.
On a different note anybody have a Tempest splitter?

I always averaged 450 pieces in a card. Never sold by the piece however. That's just how I came up with a cord when we used to throw wood in the truck by hand. I don't sell firewood anymore.

I've never heard of it sold by the piece, but 'round here there's lots of those bundles sold for camping at the gas stations and stores. I get a chuckle out of it. I've never sold firewood, it's valuable(ish) in these parts and enough people burn that most want to keep the wood for themselves or someone they know, rather than pay to have it removed. I get enough for myself and to give to my parents and a few friends but that's about it of primo.

Full cords or half cords are all I ever see advertised around here.

Butch is that the law there or just the industry standard. Here, we must sell by the cord, to be delivered on the truck or trailer as a stacked cord, with a sale slip that lists all species. Now ask me how many people abide by that law....

There are laws and standards here. Rarely enforced.

My buddy was caretaker of a place right on the shore of Lake Ontario. I set up a stand for camp wood. 2 foot lengths of seasoned Black Willow with no bark. Good sized bundle. $3 bundle / 2 for $5. I was amazed how much I sold and how little I got ripped off. The place was a YWCA camp. So mismanaged they sold out to the state. Too bad.

They sell split bundles wrapped with bailing wire at the home centers. Pretty pricey, so my mind goes through the calculations when I see it. Probably people are taking a cut along the way before it gets to full retail, so the person doing the work isn't getting so much.

$750 a cord, as the wholesaler here, if wrapped in .75 cubic foot bundles. 2 hours to wrap the cord with an electric bundler. 180 bundles roughly if I remember right from my firewood days...

Kiln drying may play a part as a way to kill bugs and fungi so as to reduce re-location of pests.
1 cubic foot around here is about $6. Probably a "standard-ish" bundle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kiln drying and USDA cert are what's needed to sell firewood over the state line in my neck of the woods. I can only sell in my county because of EAB.

Back