Temp Agencies?

atw

TreeHouser
Anyone ever use temp. employment agencies for workers? If so what are your experiences with it? Thinking of using it for when I have bigger jobs and need a couple of extra hands for dragging brush, etc. Haven't really checked any out yet though

I used to climb for a friend in Hawaii that used temp labor. On tough jobs it was not uncommon to start the day with 3 or 4 new workers and be down to just 1 or 2 by lunch time. That's Hawaii, though. It could be different where you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that's good to know, thanks I can see how that would happen

I would recommend trying an agency out first before you throw your cards in on a big job... I've had many no show/no calls this year and it's super frustrating. If the temp manager is good, he will find you guys with similar skills (wildland fire, forest service, etc). Once you've worked with a couple decent guys, you can bring them in for the bigger jobs and get sht done.

Also, you can often reduce overall hourly cost by paying them 'unanticipated bonuses'. This keeps the rate at like 16%, compared to all hours run at 50% on the dollar (in my case at least).

Dogs-Do-Not-Want-1.jpg

Anyone ever use temp. employment agencies for workers? If so what are your experiences with it? Thinking of using it for when I have bigger jobs and need a couple of extra hands for dragging brush, etc. Haven't really checked any out yet though

I think it would cost wayyy more than the guys would be worth. I checked around here not too long ago, and none of them will touch tree work anyway.

I volunteered to keep an eye on a temp guy that was enrolled for some clearance work. A friend of mine's company, I was helping out. He hadn't much used a saw before. I got him going somewhat on cutting procedures, but there was nothing I could do for him when his legs gave out two-thirds of the way through the day. " Go sit down and stay out of the way", was the only advice I could think of. He could barely walk. Admittedly, it was fairly steep terrain. He didn't last, I later heard when I enquired.

I have been getting my help through a staffing agency for about 5 years. The good parts are that they handle all the payroll stuff so that I just right a check to the agency and it doesn't take long to replace someone. The mixed blessing is that Workman's Comp is lower through them.....but that is because of restrictions on what the job duties can entail. No driving of vehicles. No chainsaw operation, No working more than 10 feet off the ground. However, it works okay for me since I mostly want a brush dragger and fetch and carry help to send me tools and refuel my saws.

Only for road closures ....certified flaggers. Past that, no way in hell

Same here. I hire in flagger companies I wouldn't think of that as temps.

I wouldn't want some random that I haven't interviewed/aproved myself on my jobsite or handling any of my rigging. Hell I have a strict cabinets closed rule for my trucks mainly so no randoms could pike something or even see what rigging is in each box. My employee thinks I'm crazy paranoid. And I am!

I have NEVER had any luck with a temp agency in 3 states. Might as well hire the no showing clueless fuggers off the street. At least they would appreciate the lunch I'll buy them.

Back