Fid size?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Hey kids what size fid do I use for poison ivy? Is it the half inch one or should I use the next size smaller?

I have always used the 7/16" fid. You could do the math and figure it out if you really wanted to. I bet you will be fine with 7/16" or 1/2".

A while back I spliced an eye into some used PI and had it broke. The results were decent, I don't remember the exact strength any more. The strength loss that eat present I attributed to the fact that it was well used and abused and it was my first Dbl braid splice that I completed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you kindly sir. I have been on a splicing kick lately made up some loopies and an eye on my 1/2" SB now I need to order the larger sizes so I can do up my bigger lines.

I was on a splicing kick too but then I decided to try 16 strand XTC and it sacked the wind out of my sails. Luckily we don't really need anything because splicing suddenly turned into a chore for me instead of a relaxing pastime. The last thing I made was a monkey tail for spar work and I had to force myself to do it. The stitching is the worst part for me right now.

Really? I never thought PI or Bluemoon was bad. Actually I thought it was quite easy. Wire fid or push fid?

Push fid. It was going ok until I had to milk the cover back over the core and that is where things got a little tight in the throat, but I got it done.

It's not all that pic worthy just a splice no more no less. I used a 7/16" fid.

I agree about splicing becoming a chore. Originally I though I'd save some cash and splice all of my own gear. Once I really got the hang of it I started to avoid doing it. I have a handful of splices done that only need to be stitched and I jut can't seem to make myself do it. I'll get to it eventually I'm sure.

Out of curiosity EMR what about the 16 strand was a pain for you?

It was pulling the cover through the bury that was the biggest pain. I just about killed myself doing it. Everything else was easy enough. My partner just bought a hank of Neo-PRO and that looks like it would be much easier to splice than the XTC that I did.

Hey kids what size fid do I use for poison ivy? Is it the half inch one or should I use the next size smaller?

Use 7/16" fids and directions for sure. Looks like everyone got that part square already, though.

...Wire fid or push fid?
Push fid...

That's the problem. Make yourself a fid out of a coat hanger. Though most splices can easily be done with push fids, it is almost always WAY easier to use a wire fid.

While we're on the topic, a fid is approx 21 or 22x the rope diameter. Here's how nerdy I am. In 2007 I updated the wikipedia on FID to include a chart that had all the fid lengths on it. I went to get the link and share that here. I saw that the chart was no longer there. I went to the history for that page and saw that just a few months ago someone who doesn't know what a "fid-length" is went and took the chart out. So I just spent the past 20 minutes putting it back!

We'll see if it stays that way!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fid

love
nick

Use 7/16" fids and directions for sure. Looks like everyone got that part square already, though.

That's the problem. Make yourself a fid out of a coat hanger. Though most splices can easily be done with push fids, it is almost always WAY easier to use a wire fid.

While we're on the topic, a fid is approx 21 or 22x the rope diameter. Here's how nerdy I am. In 2007 I updated the wikipedia on FID to include a chart that had all the fid lengths on it. I went to get the link and share that here. I saw that the chart was no longer there. I went to the history for that page and saw that just a few months ago someone who doesn't know what a "fid-length" is went and took the chart out. So I just spent the past 20 minutes putting it back!

We'll see if it stays that way!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fid

love
nick

Your nerdness is much appreciated!
I will have to make myself a wire fid. But then again I will probably just buy one or a toss wand.

Just go to your closet. I'm sure you have one waiting for you there. Cut the hook off, fold it in half, fold the pokey ends into a loop and clip it to a 'biner and you're good to go.

If you do a bunch of splicing with the wire, you might want to step up to the Wand. But really most tree guys are splicing once or twice a month and the Wand is going so save them MAYBE 15 minutes per year.

I see. There was a thread, I can't remember if it was here or on the buzz, about a homemade splicing needle. Would that be better than a coat hanger?

I read somewhere that welding wire works as well. I tried it last week and it broke after about 30 seconds. Piano wire all the way.

I think what Nicks trying to say is; most splices are easier to do with a pull fid rather than a push fid

Back