Fur and feathers

DMc

TreeHouser
Reading the 82 yards with a Bow thread reminded me that this forum is home to some very fine woodsmen.

I have asked this question of many of the younger generation and have not gotten satisfactory answers. But I feel confident that this group will prove that this knowledge has not been lost.

Anyway,

Why was fur and feather combined in articles of clothing by the woodsmen of old? This was not done just by Indians and mountain men, but by the ancients as well.

Dave

Feathers/down has lots of air spaces, air equals insulation just like spun fiberglass batts.

I always assumed they were askin' if you wanted the quail or the venison!:D

But that would mess with the phrase "surf and turf"!!!:?

Raw leather isn't very waterproof, when it's oiled then ya got somethin' called a slicker! Bird down gets a funky smell to it when wet. But it used to be the insulator of choice, and I know a wee bit about the cold!:cry:

I thought this was going to be about sporting clays when I read the thread title

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I feel confident that this group will prove that this knowledge has not been lost. Dave

You guys are killing me here. I now have a deeper understanding of Burnham's sign off: "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

The answer I was looking for is that in nature fur and feathers never meet on the same animal and are only seen together at kill sites. This was a well known heads up (or so I thought) so that when you see a flash of fur and feather together, you give pause and study the situation more carefully. It was the original "hunter's orange". Guess it won't work any more. :(

Dave

Back