Tree felling vids

I haven’t read that whole thread yet but for anyone else coming along learning in the future, tree_being has a video on her Patreon that explains what she calls the tracing method that Burnham described.
Yeah the tracing technique is my go to for most cutting and can be pretty accurate as long as you visualize where you set that far corner. I’ll look at the diameter and I also watch my gunning sight for where the tip is. Works pretty good and it’s quick. Sometimes the corners can be off if you have cut a bit much. If I need to hit a super tight shot I’ll do the bore face technique so I can pay attention to the first corner I set and then use the established side to finish cutting the other side while being able to watch the bar and tip so no over cutting or Dutchmen’s are made. This new job I’m going to has to be perfect undercuts. Big wood and tight shots. I’m going to have to reel it in just a bit and slow down to make sure it’s perfect.

Did he get injured (or worse)
Dunno…it’s one of those ones that been reposted so many times you can’t find the origin etc. irritating. It does look like there was another tree he back up against and got squished. Bad day for sure.

I’m interested in thoughts on what all went wrong and how to avoid. Obviously have more room, clear your area, don’t hang around, leave the saw. Especially dropping a dead tree into other trees.

I think he should have cut the side he was cutting first, and finished on the other side. I think it was clearer over there. I also think a bar that reached thru would have been safer, cutting the back cut evenly, maybe less inclination to split like that? But with dead stuff half of it can be punk and half solid. Maybe pay careful attention to the feel and the chips.

It only fell that way because half the stump had no hold of the ground. It looks like it was supposed to go to the left of the other trees. I guess just be aware that if the tree starts falling in an unexpected direction, forget the saw and get away.

Full wrap handle...should have done the whole job from the other side.

Pics never tell the whole story...but I'd not choose to put myself in a tight bind of a place to cut from, given what looks like a wide open spot on the opposite side.

Last edited:
I had one last week kinda like that but I wasn’t close to it. It was a dead ash leaning over a garage and heavy head lean towards power lines. Not a big tree by any means (14” at the stump) and we had near ideal pull angles. Set some tension on the pull line to hold the tree, faced it up, made the back cut, got out of there, called for the final pull, and the tree broke off about six inches above the ground. Long dead trees are spooky.

It was a dead ash leaning over a garage and heavy head lean towards power lines. Not a big tree by any means (14” at the stump) and we had near ideal pull angles. Set some tension on the pull line to hold the tree, faced it up, made the back cut, got out of there, called for the final pull, and the tree broke off about six inches above the ground. Long dead trees are spooky.

Wow something like that happened to me last week that I've never seen before:

70'x20" long-dead ash, tall and straight woods tree, standing more or less plumb 30' from house.

We pushed a pull rope up about 20', and then I made the face and observed that the only sound wood was in the central 50% of the bole, which got my attention given the close proximity of the house. I started the back cut, placing a wedge as I proceeded. As the men started to pull the tree to the lay, I pushed the wedge in a bit deeper and got outta dodge. I look back and watched the tree going perfectly to the lay and then landing. I look to the stump to check the forensics and was shocked to see that the trunk was still in one piece- the hinge didn't break. Instead, the stump fully uprooted as the tree went over.

There is no way the men could have pulled that tree over without some cutting, but as the weight of the tree leaned to the lay, that was enough to make the roots snap.

Dead ash can be super weird and tricky!

Another thing about this tree- it was one of those that looked like it had lean to 3 or 4 different directions depending on where you viewed it from ( which perhaps means it has more or less no lean).

Any of youse ever use a plumb bob like them fallers out west? I keep meaning to try it.

@lxskllr - is there a way I can make the pic above show without it needing to be clicked on? Thx.

Last edited:
Back