Buggered Boom

I think that I'd be inclined to pump some acetone or alcohol or some other good solvent through the nipples first that doesn't leave a residue, to clear out any crud before injecting the adhesive. Acetone dries immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The bonding should never fail. EVER.

Erik you are correct. I've prepped everything and am just about to inject the adhesive. I'm pretty much 100% certain no adhesive was ever pumped into any of the 16 holes on the upper boom insert. The holes are wide open and with a little wire/poker I can feel all around in there. Also I've seen no sign of the old adhesive at any of the openings around the upper insert. If you look closely at the picture for the adhesive entry holes you can see that they are not siliconed over, to me they look like whatever type of plug was used in manufacturing the actual fiberglass boom, but then it was never filled with adhesive.

In comparison the lower boom insert has adhesive coming out around all of the openings, the holes are siliconed over and the one that I picked the silicone off you could never inject more adhesive into, the stuff is rockhard and right below the silicone covering.

I have no idea how this boom lived the first 11 years of it's life without adhesive in that insert but I'm telling y'all there is none in there.

It does make me feel better about the repair that I'm undertaking as some has got to be better than none, but wow. I'll be letting the manufacturer know, whether they believe me or not.

Attachments

• boom 002.jpg
    boom 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
I think it would be worth the effort to slip that assembly apart to remove all traces of the 11 years of dirt and crud that can accumulate there. Disconnect the leveling cables and hoses, and I bet you could do just fine with a big limb and balanced rigging.

All in all, I think you'll be fine.

Yah, it's not going to be easy to pull that boom off man, it's a super tight fit. I've considered it, but the advice I got is that the adhesive is so powerful that it won't really matter about the crud in or around there. Obviously spotless would be ideal but as long as there's some positive contact I don't think there'll be a future issue. I kid you not that upper insert has no adhesive in it and I've run it for two years like that, possibly it's gone it's whole life like that. I've cleaned the area and blown out the holes and inside as best I could. I'm gonna let 'er rip like this and monitor it closely for any sign of movement in the future.

Also apparently the bolting might not be such a bad idea. The guy e-mailed me from Versalift today saying that the engineers were doing their thing and that by Monday he would have instructions for me as to how to go about doing it.

In my research I've seen that quite a number of upper booms are bolted at that attachment. I've also heard although haven't found a pic that the new Hi-Rangers have gone back to being bolted there.

I think it's gonna work out.

Sounds like good news, Skwishey. Seems like every time you step in a pile of chit, you come up smelling like roses. 8)

It went extremely well. The adhesive pumped through right out the ends. I'm stoked. I can't see that boom ever moving there again.

good deal Squish. Lonnie is the man, he has taught me a lot over the years. A wealth of info on lifts and chippers.

good deal man. maybe versalifts coorperate headquarters decide to cut corners and forgo the epoxy so they could get a better bonus:|:

Let's just hope you had it in the correct position before pumping the epoxy. :P

No doubt, that stuff is brutal. And it sets up quick!

I think I found a guy in my frantic search for info the last couple of days who I'm going to get to go over my fiberglass, probably this fall/winter. Make it look all new again.

Frigging rollercoaster ride these last couple of days that's for sure.

Hope everything works out Squish. When I first read the title of this thread I thought "no, it can't be happening to the Squisher."

Back