Buggered Boom

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Well I have a issue on my hands.

The boom slid down tight against the bolts that hold the fiberglass cover/protector on. It was right up against the bolts so I couldn't even undo them. I then put the lower boom over center and with the upper boom straight up and down was able to 'wiggle' it back to where you see in the pictures. It's definetly loose/moving.

Lol, the squisher can find a camera in a hurry when he really needs to eh!

I've already been in contact with Time Mfg and have sent them an e-mail/pics so hopefully they get back to me soon with a recommendation.

I thought I'd post it up here to see if any of y'all have dealt with something like this before.

The Time guy on the phone fingered it might be able to be re-bonded but he was just the service manager. He wanted pics and was going to run it by their engineers.

Sucks, just today I was starting to feel like I was getting back on my feet a little.

Attachments

• boom 002.jpg
    boom 002.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3
  • boom 004.jpg
    boom 004.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3
  • boom 003.jpg
    boom 003.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heh, no one died or was hurt. I'm thankful to have spotted it.

The levelling system got lose obviously from the sliding back, that's what twigged me on to it.

I'd consider it! With the amount of long dead birch on the schedule it might be worth it.

I see no reason it can't be re-bonded. However, it sure is concerning that the bonding failed to begin with.

I'm sure hoping it can be re-bonded. Although in the pics there are some cracks forming, they would need further inspection I would think?

I hear ya on the bonding failing. That's bogus imo, my old boom was twice as old a versalift too and it was going strong until I flopped it.

Whenever I think of the re-bonding I envision the old super glue ad where the guy is dangling from his hardhat. Heh it might work!

If you can clean very well the surfaces, it will hold, no problem.
With the super glue, you need a tight assembly. If it's loose, I'd prefer epoxy, or best, metal loaded epoxy.

But if some cracks begin, that's an all different story.

The bonding should never fail. EVER. Something wasn't made right, and that would definitely shake my confidence in the whole boom.

Ed, yup.

You're kind of paranoid eh Erik? But I do agree that the bonding should never have failed. I'm pushing for manufacturers warranty! Lol.

Altec does not have a procedure for fixing something like that. Dude, it kills me to hear this. I'll do a little research and see what I can find out.

I do believe it will be an option if the fiberglass is ok still, because the service manager mentioned it when I described the problem. I'm wondering if this isn't the first time this has happened? I can't find anything on the net about it, but I am a computer genius too.

I'd suspect that if it can be rebonded that it will have to come right apart to be cleaned. That will be a pain, but not as much of a pain as replacing the whole upper. If the metal part can stay on the knuckle I'm guessing you could take apart the levelling system and take the hoses off of the bucket/control lever and that would be about it. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Yes; the assembly will need to be disassembled so it can re-prepped, otherwise it won't bond properly, and you'll be in the same boat. My engineering guess is that they would do just as you described... then etch the knuckle with a prep solution, apply the bonding agent (CAA/Epoxy blend, perhaps) then re-assemble it to the knuckle.

Paranoid? Nah... I just like life, bro. :)

I think the bonding material is 'squirted' in through two holes on each of the four sides of the boom. You can kind of see the little plugged holes I'm referring to in the pics. So I think it's done with the boom in place but yah for sure some prep is going to be needed.

I'm basically forked over here. We'll be climbing and using this as a chip truck, and then when I get everything lined up hopefully it won't be to much down time. I may be back to the ghetto 1-ton.

Heh I'm no engineer but what about bolting it like the lower insulated section is when re-sealing it to insure no future hassle? It's not in the insulated section and the holes would be much smaller than the multiple holes/access plates already in the boom?

Crazy? Probably I'm guessing.

Tread lightly there .We're it I ,I'd go with whatever the manufacturer suggested . One screw up and you risk a boom failure which is not good .

I'm sure those people have documented methods to deal with problems like this .If not they certainly should have because it's a pretty safe bet it's happened before .

Now not bragging but I'm a damned good welder but I will not weld on any type of aerial equipment where a persons life hangs in the balance .

Yah I won't be doing it. But the redneck in me is just screaming it'll work!

FWIW Time Mfg is having their engineers look over the bolting ideaer. Really top guys to deal with so far. Said if the bolts would work they'll supply me with the blueprints for doing it. That was cool I thought.

Lonnie is the man Dave. He's fingering out what exact adhesive it is. He said it's an easy fix, no need to disassemble anything. Line it up to where it's supposed to be and he says those holes that are plugged with silicone should be threaded for 1/8th grease nipples. Put nipples in all the holes, mix the epoxy and pump her up. He said he couldn't remember the last time that they did it to a Versalift but it's relatively common to have to do on a Altec or Terex. He says scrap the bolting idear. Lol, suprise, suprise.

Lonnie's been in the business longer than I've been alive so I feel pretty confident with his recommendations.

It's been about 2 years since I bought the truck from him and he was fantastic to deal with. I got the impression he was going to send me the epoxy to do it with, but I told him just to find the brand/specs and I'd try and source it up here 1st.

Top shelf business ITE(Iron Technics) imo.

Back