Wrenching on stuff, repairs, maintenance, tips and tricks

Never buy a Jaguar...best tip I have at hand, just at the moment :D. Though once you jump that hurdle, and agree to the give you have to make to receive the take...the rewards are quite magnificent.

I'll try to remember something a bit more broad-based here in a bit ;)

Always back into your parking spot if at all possible so that your leaving is a clear forward activity...all the hazards you will need to navigate are fresh in your mind and eyes, so you are far more likely to not back into something later on as you navigate yourself out.

USFS basics of vehicular operations. The largest number of vehicle accidents in the USFS for 'effin ever has always been backing into something, either in the field or in parking lots. It has added up to an incredible amount of dollars lost to pretty dumb stuff.

Take pictures from multiple angles before disassembly. Especially on wiring projects.

Buy oil by the drum, including bar oil.

Buy all filters for the season when they go on sale, usually we have extras on the shelf.

Avoid harbor freight as much as possible.

Edit: Try to use torque specs and not Ugga Duggas.

Spent years with John Muir's "Idiots Guide" though that book can get one into trouble , overall a great learning tool. Old School he was , includes stuff like filing ignition points in an emergency ... turning lug nuts (or any nut) without a wrench in an emergency

Last edited:
Yeah, but there's a recall that he might not be aware of. Take em back, they will hand you cash, and then buy shit that won't try to kill you. Theres no need to have shit kicking around that is unsafe, the old lady had a high school friend killed exactly that way.

Spent years with John Muir's "Idiots Guide" though that book can get one into trouble , overall a great learning tool. Old School he was , includes stuff like filing ignition points in an emergency ... turning lug nuts (or any nut) without a wrench in an emergency
That was a great book. Best auto repair book I've ever used. Clear, and concise hand drawn pictures, and practical methods of accomplishing a task, if not 'factory approved'.

A piece of fat iron about 3/16 - 1/4 × 2-2.5 " and a sledge hammer will pop races out of the hubs. Save the old races for tapping in the new ones. Old base ball bats (wooden) will work to set them with a sledge or some 1x3 or 4 oak.

Here's a trick from a few years ago. Most engine flywheels have a keyway and shear key. Mess up, replace the key. Stihl decided to cast the key integral to the BR600 flywheel. Mess up, buy a whole new flywheel and of course Stihl parts are inexpensive. :) So, it turns out that there is a bit of clearance on each side of the "key" in the flywheel and you can identify it's location even after it's sheared. If you have a mill, or can clamp a vice to a good drill press, you can mill a round depression right where the base of the key was. I can't remember the size, but I took a small length of aluminum tig rod, maybe 3/32 and you have a new key and a normal keyway arrangement for the future.

What did mine in was a loose screw falling into the flywheel during pull start. So tip number two is don't ignore new mechanical sounds like loose, rubbing or rattling.

Back