Windsor speed tip

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Windsor I think made the original replacable bar tip and I believe it's this three rivet model .They made bars for just about every make of saw at one time and especially McCulloch .

This 32" bar was given to me and was odd indeed as it is a 50 thou groove bar but had a .404 nose on it ,10 series mount .I assume it was a PNW bar because that size was never used in these parts .

Not to worry 17 bucks for a new nose and back in business with a 3/8" nose and 105 links of Oregon 72 round chisel skip chain .They get about 150 for a NOS Mac bar like this on flea bay .

Nothing to changing a nose .Drill out the three rivets with a 5/32" drill ,punch out the rivets .Install the new nose ,pound the rivets flat with a hammer .No need to actually peen because they are counter sunk .Took about twice as long to do as for me to type it .

Sorry about the blurring pics the lens had some stuff on it .

Attachments

• windsor speed tip 015.jpg
    windsor speed tip 015.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
  • windsor speed tip 016.jpg
    windsor speed tip 016.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 7
You put that on the 805?

I knew a guy out west that had a lot of 404 050 chain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah on the 805 . I assume it must have been a deal maybe 25-30 years ago on those medium sized Douglas fir trees .Using the wider kerf .404 chain so it chipped out better .

I imagine since for example McCulloch circled the drain in 98 and the 805 was just about the last professional saw they made it was probabley 5 years before then they lost favor as a pro feller ,maybe even more years before .

About the only .404 by 50 thou you can find is on flea bay .

I hated to see Windsor go out. I liked them as they were a little narrower than Oregons and several dollars cheaper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That tip came from an e-bay seller that sold several styles of replacement tips ,Windsor,Oregon couple more .I've got a 36" Windsor ,Stihl 066 style adapted to fit the Homelite in my avatar .

Willard, do you see any advantage or disadvantage with the thinner drivers on that chain? Get a little increased chain speed from it? It doesn't seem like they would break..or maybe slightly susceptible where the rivet goes through?

Willard, do you see any advantage or disadvantage with the thinner drivers on that chain? Get a little increased chain speed from it? It doesn't seem like they would break..or maybe slightly susceptible where the rivet goes through?
For years up until a few yrs ago I used up about 40 feet of this chain on my 066 Stihl -28". Good tough chain, very little stretch holds a good edge and lasts alot longer then the 3/8". I round filed it of course seeing I'm using it for arb ground work and never broke a link.
I don't fully understand the .050 logic in a .404 chain. This roll did come from the PNW and seeing the timber they used to cut out there I guess every advantage in friction reduction etc. counts. Even the .058 .404 is gone now.

Yeah, I was going to say that I thought that .063 was standard with .404. I know that they have started putting out .404 with the cutters on a lighter chassis that usual, as of a few years ago, so probably thinking about chain speed, which I guess you mean by friction.

Back