What tool or method do you use to determine your elevation when in a tree?

Tim_B.

TreeHouser
Hey, guys and gals!

I've been wondering for a little while how you experienced climbers determine the height of the trees that you're working in, or the height of your highest tie-in point, etc. I've seen some folks on this forum refer to their elevation in a tree with a fairly high degree of specificity. So I was wondering how they came up with those figures.

Dropping some kind of tape measure would seem really time consuming and cumbersome. I guess I'm asking if there is some kind of industry standard tool that gets used for this purpose, that is compact and easy to use. I do not ever recall seeing this discussed on this forum, and I tried with no luck to find it in older threads.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Tim

Know how long your climbing line is helps. Otherwise for reports and such I use a range finder. There's a old thread somewhere here about the Pythagorean theorem

Are you talking about for bragging rights and stories or to make sure a tree fits in a given area?

I used to remember how to do it with a clinometer, or the 'stick trick' but its been a while since I used either.

Stick trick is an equal leg triangle, which makes a 45* triangle which gives you something to sight with to make a larger equal leg triangle. With a 45* triangle, the point you see on the tree lands where you're standing, plus the height to your eye.

I think he's talking about in the tree, however.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lumberjack asked: "Are you talking about for bragging rights and stories or to make sure a tree fits in a given area?"

I'd say yes, it would primarily be for stories. Also, if there are strangers around watching me climb, one of the most frequent questions I get is "How high is it that you're climbing, anyway?" Sometimes when I watch some of Reg Coates' videos I'll catch him referring to the elevation of the tree he's working on that day. It's just nice to be able to quantify things.

In a similar way, if I shoot video of work I'm doing on a tree, just to show my friends and associates, that is again one of the first questions that I get asked about the situation. It would be nice to be able to give a fairly accurate answer.

On another, more technical level, I just purchased and modified an APTA, and it would be nice to be able to develop tabular data with regard to how much pressure is required to reach what elevation using what weight of throwball, etc.

Thanks for your interest.

Tim

I hak a loogie out of the tree and count how many seconds it takes to hit the ground. ;) No really a range finder works well.

Stick trick is an equal leg triangle, which makes a 45* triangle which gives you something to sight with to make a larger equal leg triangle. With a 45* triangle, the point you see on the tree lands where you're standing, plus the height to your eye.

I think he's talking about in the tree, however.

Yes, primarily I'm talking about having the ability to take a direct measurement while in the tree. The "stick trick" would be a good thing for me to learn, anyway, though, as it might be able to give someone an answer that gets you in the ballpark. I get the impression that you'd need a lot of room to make it work, though. Most of the trees I've been climbing are in fairly small yards.

Tim

Crap, missed the "In the tree part".....I carry 80ft paracord, use it to haul up water, lunch, advance TIP. If I get a second waiting for groundies I might drop an end down, measure what's left, just rough arm's span (5ft about). To figure if what's left will fit for a drop I'll tie a knot at the ground on the retrieval side of the canopy SRT anchor, measure that by arm spans.

For stories... who's going to argue with you?

For generalities, knowing your throw line lengths, rope lengths, and such give you good approximations, then you estimate the rest of the height above that point.

I seem to get asked about height a lot, too, so I carry a 150' throwline with 5 oz bag to drop. Also comes in handy if I need something passed up, and the rope is not long enough to reach the ground.

Know how long your climbing line is helps. Otherwise for reports and such I use a range finder. There's a old thread somewhere here about the Pythagorean theorem

Thanks for this post. I've never owned a range finder, but it seems like the tool to have if you're going for accuracy. It is something that will have to go on my "wish list" for now, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll be able to research it for a long time and satisfy myself with regard to features and performance, now that I know about it.

Tim

I seem to get asked about height a lot, too, so I carry a 150' throwline with 5 oz bag to drop. Also comes in handy if I need something passed up, and the rope is not long enough to reach the ground.

Nice idea, thanks.

Tim

Tim, like others said, I can tell by how much climb line i use....you can get close to how high or just lie like Tucker does..:lol::lol:

Last week I SRT up a sugar pine, had 300ft of samson Vortex rope with base tie....had 40 ft or so left on ground

Crap, missed the "In the tree part".....I carry 80ft paracord, use it to haul up water, lunch, advance TIP. If I get a second waiting for groundies I might drop an end down, measure what's left, just rough arm's span (5ft about). To figure if what's left will fit for a drop I'll tie a knot at the ground on the retrieval side of the canopy SRT anchor, measure that by arm spans.

Thanks for this most simple and straightforward answer. I often use a slender, inexpensive nylon rope, maybe 1/4 of an inch diameter, as a haul line for my water bottle. I guess I could attempt to mark it up with a black magic marker at five foot increments. Thanks for helping with the brainstorming session.

Tim

Count your paces (left, right) in 20' at a regular stride. 3.5 paces for me in 20', 7 in 40', etc. combining the stick trick or being able to eyeball 45* (from felling and checking your estimation, you calibrate your eye. )
150' throwline doubled over = 75'. if you have to add on 50' of throwline, you're at 100'.
When your at your high point, you have some rope left, stretch across your arm span a couple times and add it up. You're generally as tall as your arm span.

For your APTA just mark the throw line in 25' increments with a sharpie. That's a trial and error thing to figure out your pressure vs height

Back