What oil and mixture are you using and why?

sawinredneck

Treehouser
As the other thread is delving into this, I figured I'd start a new thread.

I run nothing but Royal Purple Synthetic in my saws, all I've run for over ten years. I mix it 45ish to 1 and every time I pull a cylinder they are nice and slimy inside! I've been very happy with this mix and zero failures on my saws in this time.

I like my Klotz Original TechniPlate 100% Synthetic. Reason it was good enough for my nitro powered alky saws and mixes with methanol. So I called the Klotz tech and he said yep will stay mixed with Ethanol gas with no separation.
Thats all I needed to hear and have never had a problem. Never a sign of any deposits of any kind even at 32:1. Looks just like new when pulled back down with nice clear coating on parts and bearings.

Amsoil Sabre. Says it can be mixed 100:1, but we mix it 60-70:1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Whatever my dealer has closest to the counter. Husqvarna or Echo stuff. 50-1. Never burned up a saw.

I use premium gas which has to be at least 100 octane and has none of the additives that you guys complain about.....mixed with a Yamaha brand 2 cycle oil, about the only oil that i have found locally that has a JASO FD performance classification rating. The powers that be here found the American petroleum institute oil rating standards too lose for their liking, so they came up with their own rating system, called JASO. FC and FD are the highest rated,....it gets pretty technical when you look into what the differences are between the different ratings, and torque is a factor in the ratings. Castrol also makes an FD rated oil that I can get, but it is super expensive.

Walmart's brand 2-cycle outboard oil, gallon jugs. I pour it into little bottles I've saved over the years for mixing in my gas jug. Roughly 20:1. Been using Walmart's oil for over 15 years with nary a problem. I've heard all the horror stories about using outboard oil in air-cooled engines...never had an issue with it.

20:1! You must get a lot of smoke? If I run out of gas at a job and use somebody else's with a richer mix, say 32:1, i can usually detect a smoke difference, sometimes very noticeably so....cough*.

Not really. I used to put 4 ounces to a gallon for 32:1 in cooler weather, and I'd put the same to 9/10 gallon in hot weather. I recently salvaged a couple of Carl's bottles (Stihl), and they are pushing 6 ounces. That's why I said "roughly" 20:1. Sometimes the jug won't hold a full gallon, so the ratio's a bit off. 32:1 is a minimum for me though. I have never, (and will never) run any thinner in anything of mine.

I asked a Stihl engineer from Germany back in 1986 face to face what is the best mix oil to perform in their saws for work applications and he said Shell series 3 diesel engine oil.
This guy was one of the head designers of the 028 038 048 series

None.
I run alkylate fuel only. That stuff comes pre-mixed.

I started using this Castrol product in a 40:1 mix, a complete synthetic. The advertising spiel is that it is for high performance engines and it gives faster acceleration, and darned if that seemed to be what I found, at least in a modded saw. I brought some to a job with my usual mix and switched off filling the tank to get a clear impression. Reviews of it by people all seem to be highly favorable, but all I can find is in bikes, not saws. It has the highest oil rating, albeit a bit pricey. If you are bored with your 2 stroke oil, you might give it a try. Definitely seems to liven things up. :)

Attachments

• power1_racing_2t.jpg
    power1_racing_2t.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 100
Homelite 2cycle at 40/1. Because it is cheap, available, high quality semi synthetic. I run Husqvarna 2 stroke also. Stihl can keep their double priced stuff.

Switching over to the considerably more costly Castrol power 1 racing at around $13 per liter (how it is sold here), I figured out that the cost at 40:1 is about 50 cents per gallon. Is that expensive? It doesn't seem like a heck of a lot.

Outboard 2 cycle oil has a lower ash temperature, than 2 cycle oil made for air cooled engines. That means that it turns to ash, at a lower temp, than the ones for AIR COOLING. I read some papers on the differences between the oils. Yrs ago. That's the difference.

Thanks, Stig, So, my conclusion is that if 2 gallons is considered a heavy user, then I have to figure that even the more expensive oil isn't really a cost that much needs to be considered.

Back