Weaver Bridges (Cougar Saddle)

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
People at the Buzz are getting up in arms saying that the replacement bridges from Weaver are failing.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showf...=310504&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post310504

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=300685&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=311076&page=0&fpart=2&vc=1

I have a cougar and a replacement bridge, so I am worried to say the least. Have you guys heard anything? I contacted Weaver and they have no reports of the second bridges failing, a verifiable accident report would help I am sure, if there is one.

?

I have read so many bad things about that saddle that I wouldn't trust it for anything. I am not saying that everything I read is true or not fixable, but with so many other options why not get something without all the problems. Get a New Tribe and climb in comfort!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The new bridges that Weaver is using to replace the Technora/Dyneema Blend are 100% Dyneema... Straight from the horses mouth, I spoke to them yesterday on the phone. This bridge is for the new Cougars, Its black sheath with orange core. The black on black are the Technora/Dyneema blend.

I dont want to start a dyneema debate, just passing along the info.

I am thinking I will do a Liger conversion and eliminate the issue by using a cover dependant rope bridge and replace it once every month or so.

What Nick said. Replace with a nylon or polyester properly rated rope. The replacement bridges for the cougar are still high mod fiber. I won't use it. I just retired my bridge (as I have previously posted) that was the replacement bridge for the cougar. It had just started showing signs of wear so off it went. I replaced it with PI knotted to the rings.
Weaver does need to get a handle on this though. Too many damn falls (one is too many). Climbers also need to inspect their gear daily.

I recieved some more info from a guy at the buzz and just decided to go with the liger mod. I ordered the CT rigging plates and some XTC Fire. I bought a 46' short run for 20something $, enough that I can replace the bridge about 20 times or more for the price of one replacement bridge. Plus with a cover dependent 16 strand I can easily inspect and evaluate the wear and see the strength-component of the rope.

CT Rigging Plates https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=32&item=1761

XTC Fire https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=191&item=1139
Discounted Rope Shorts https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=196&item=401

2A63703.jpg

It seems like a nice upgrade. More piece of mind regardless. Been flying on my PI bridge for a while now with little signs of wear and I would also say the HC pulley I have on it helps that issue. I also made my bridge a tad longer than stock.

It's a shame you have to spend that much more money to get a safe saddle.

Ultimately you are absolutely right, but it would be a shame to spend even more on a new saddle ($200-500) AND lose my entire investment in the cougar ($250). It is sort of a stop gap fix I guess. The plates and the 45' of XTC ran me $75, and I have plenty of replacements in my supply closet.

I cut my losses by incurring the least cost in the end right?

Ultimately you are absolutely right, but it would be a shame to spend even more on a new saddle ($200-500) AND lose my entire investment in the cougar ($250). It is sort of a stop gap fix I guess. The plates and the 45' of XTC ran me $75, and I have plenty of replacements in my supply closet.

I cut my losses by incurring the least cost in the end right?

I hope I wasn't coming across as a prick. I just think that Weaver, normally a good company, put out a piece of cap saddle and they just keep screwing it up. I know you are just making the best of the situation. I would have done the exact same thing if I had the Cougar. The Liger seems to be the way to go.

FWIW The saddle is great... It is the rope bridge that is screwed up...
He spent a lot of money on a more versatile and adjustable positioning system for the new rope bridge.
When I fixed my bridge it cost me only a small piece of PI I already had lying about. I decided to add a hitch climber to it for more versatility. SO making the rope bridge safe on the saddle costs under 1.00 a foot normally.

FWIW The saddle is great... It is the rope bridge that is screwed up...
He spent a lot of money on a more versatile and adjustable positioning system for the new rope bridge.
When I fixed my bridge it cost me only a small piece of PI I already had lying about. I decided to add a hitch climber to it for more versatility. SO making the rope bridge safe on the saddle costs under 1.00 a foot normally.

Fair enough.

EMR I didnt take it that way at all, I agree with you it is a shame that it had to be "made safe" however much it cost.

True that... Weaver really should step up and correct the problem with a better/safer solution than another high mod bridge. And make sure they get the word out better.

I thought you were all confidence and smiles over Dynema bridges.

:P

:D

According to Weaver, when i spoke to them on the phone Monday, the first bridge (1.0) black/red were a Amarid/Dyneema Blend. The replacement bridges (2.0) issued after the recall in November 2010 black/black are a Technora/Dyneema blend. When I told them there were reports of this bridge, 2.0 failing they said they had no reports to confirm that. They did say however that they have a third bridge (3.0), being manufactured by New England that is 100% Dyneema.

Now I am not a materials scientist and honestly I am not up to spec on Technora or Amarid, I also dont know anyhting about splicing or ultimately what caused ANY of these bridge failures (wear, workmanship, abrasion, user error, materials failure, friction, who knows).

I do however maintain my belief and trust in what I am familiar with; which is 100% dyneema products like the Warpspeed bridge, quickdraws, small diameter slings and so forth.

What I am uncomfortable with is patterns of failure. 3.0 could be made out titanium gold alloy for all I care, If 1.0 and 2.0 failed I have no interest in a third replacement, which is what I conveyed to Weaver.

I like my saddle well enough and with the modifications I am going to make tomorrow I feel confident that I can trust in its security. Also as Stephen points out hopefully I will have upgraded its versatility and comfort.

Any reports of dyneema failure/ wear?

My warp speed cover wore through, but the bridge looked new.

Wondering if I should be replacing my replacement warp speed with 16 strand rope.

Over half of the bridge failures (Aramid, DS composites, and Technora) were over 2 years old and well used. How many of you climb on hitch cord that has been used for two years?

I hope Chip chimes in here in the near future. He had some good pics of his bridge failure, the one he made I believe of hi mod fibers. I was looking it up one time and found he had some pics posted at the Buzz as well. I believe on the same subject the thread was.

OK!

So the check cleared.

I called Weaver and told them this... Considering the recall on bridge 1.0 and the reported failures of bridge 2.0 that the I was not interested in a 3rd attempt, bridge 3.0.

I informed them that I had removed the bridge and that without a central tie in, that the saddle had no value to me and that I had, effectively wasted $250.

Long story short, I convinced them to refund me the cost of the CT rigging plates featured in the popular Liger conversion. It took almost a half dozen calls and over an hour or so on the phone as well as a bunch of emails but I recieved and cleared a check for $48, which is fine by me.

My reticence to post the details was only because I did not want my check to not come for whatever reason.

Back