Tuatahi products?

flushcut

TreeHouser
Anybody uses their stuff? Their axes and crosscut saw look amazing. Same with the price! But fine tools come at a cost.

Those axes look amazing! This is my first time seeing Tuatahi but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an axe from them, just going off of the pictures on their website. Those axes look deadly!!!

Australia and new Zealand are world renowned for there axemenship. Thats also new zeland money 500 of there dollars equals 344.68 of our dollars. If you look around a premium axe is going to cost you at least $250 so an axe that looks of that caliber easily. Plus you look for axes on esty or what ever it's called there are tons of axes for more than than .

Out of all of them I would rather have a Tuatahi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The crosscut saws really have my eye. I figure if the world really goes to hell I might as well have a good one going in. The work saws not the racing ones.

If you want to search around a bit you can still find a vintage crosscut saw. Try to get one that is crescent taper ground. Sharpening is an art and best left to the experts. The last one I had sharpened was around $10/ft.

What is the benefit of a cross cut axe? Is it just lighter or does it cut different?tried googling my question and didn’t find a direct answer

I tried to set the teeth in my crosscut with a pair of pliers, and broke a tooth off. Decided I didn't know what I was doing, and put it away. I'll need a tooth setter if I revisit it.

Perhaps the long teeth (like a garden saw) with just the very tip hardened can be bent, but the short ones will break. I tried that too to get a little more life on a slightly dull hardware store saw. Just "tac", maybe "criick" with special extra care but the tooth is already cracked and is ready to fall.

There are splitting and chopping or crosscut. Splitting cuts with the grain and with the crosscut or chopping the different profile is to cut against the grain. like how you would fell a tree with an ax or cut a log into rounds that would need splitting. to be able to do each task most efficiently different profiles are needed on different tools. bucking billy ray smith on youtube is a woodsman that love's his axes. he goes into detail hanging axe heads and he also take the camera when he does tree work. plus he is also fun to watch.

Last edited:
Strange terminology, but I can get behind that. I especially like the sound of a ripping axe. Sounds badass :^D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want to search around a bit you can still find a vintage crosscut saw. Try to get one that is crescent taper ground. Sharpening is an art and best left to the experts. The last one I had sharpened was around $10/ft.
All the crosscut saws I’ve seen and have bought are pretty well used up. I do have one saw that can be brought back and have some service life left, but it’s a rusty wall hanger with a fresh coat of oil. Just in case. 😉

All the crosscut saws I’ve seen and have bought are pretty well used up. I do have one saw that can be brought back and have some service life left, but it’s a rusty wall hanger with a fresh coat of oil. Just in case. 😉
Yeah, you have to search far and wide to locate decent ones and then take care of them.

i was wondering what the wings ground out do exactly too. my guess is it does the same things as bevels, at least i think thats what they call the indented part on my axe

Attachments

• 20220318_180124.jpg
    20220318_180124.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
But seriously do their products not look sexy as hell?! I think I need one. Saw maybe a package deal shipping for both.
They’re a joy to use. I raced those and Keech in college. We used peg and raker cross cut saws made by a guy up in Canada, JP something(?). There are still some woodsmen comps in most states and you could justify one by thinking about going…

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned a cross cut axe. It’s lighter being there’s less metal but wasn’t sure of any other differences

All axes are technically a crosscut tool designed to chop at a 45 degree angle. The design of the cheeks is specific to chopping efficacy for the task at hand. Competition chopping is way different than working chopping.

Back