Those Cali fires!!!

I am a heartless jerk. I have little sympathy for people who build homes in an area that has historically been subject to frequent brush fires. This isn't to say thta I have NO sympathy I just don't think that the guv'mint ought to do ANYTHING to bail out people. Build in a fire prone area or in a floodplain below sea level and you can buy your insurance and or take your chances. 1 family's house burns down and we say that is a shame and expect their life to go on. 10,000 houses burn in the same area in the same week and suddenly it is everyone elses responsibility to make them more than whole. Phsaww!

That's why I don't live in Florida.

Central Florida is hardly at risk, Butch. I'm 50 miles from the east coast and 100 miles from the west coast. The worst winds are always on the NE quadrant of the storm, so I'm on the weak side of storms hitting the east coast and I've got 100 miles of land between me and the west coast. We simply don't get the 100+ mph winds here in the Orlando area. The last hurricane force winds (not tropical storm winds) that hit Orlando prior to 2004 was back in the mid 1960's.

Tornadoes spawned from thunderstorms are more dangerous than the big storms.

There is no place on the continent you can escape disaster.You have the fires, mud slides and earth quakes on the west coast. In the Southern east coast and gulf states you get to deal with hurricanes. The upper east coast and New England states those "Nor Easters that will freeze the business off a brass monkey.Here in the midwest you get to deal with blizzards and tornadoes.

I never figured why in the world anybody would build in a flood plane or high fire area or known hurricane area but they do.Insurance companys by the way do not loose money.In a case like this big fire they just don't pay,simple as that.

I am a heartless jerk. I have little sympathy for people who build homes in an area that has historically been subject to frequent brush fires. This isn't to say thta I have NO sympathy I just don't think that the guv'mint ought to do ANYTHING to bail out people. Build in a fire prone area or in a floodplain below sea level and you can buy your insurance and or take your chances. 1 family's house burns down and we say that is a shame and expect their life to go on. 10,000 houses burn in the same area in the same week and suddenly it is everyone elses responsibility to make them more than whole. Phsaww!

Ditto! I used to have a hard time seeming concerned when I was working fall fires in the "urban interface" areas. I thought they were whining idiots for building in a fuel type like those canyons.

True, but central Louisiana is a historically meteorological safe place. ;)
So far so good but don't forget the golden BB.There you are,in the back yard sipping a cool one.A mile overhead a goose flies over that has swallowed a marble.At just that precise time yon goose lets loose,oops,bonk.:O

The California Dept. of Forestry website is down because of unusually high traffic. That's usually the best place to get California fire info.

It seems the internet is running a tad slow.I don't doubt this fire has something to do with it.I might also add that my wife tried to order some things yesterday from Calfornia but the phone system is screwed up because of the fire.What a mess.:(

It seems the internet is running a tad slow.I don't doubt this fire has something to do with it.I might also add that my wife tried to order some things yesterday from Calfornia but the phone system is screwed up because of the fire.What a mess.:(

HA! So it is true that hollywood, CA. IS the center of the universe!

No wonder the gov. is so anxious to divert resources in a timely fashion to fighting this fire.
Not like Orleans.

Curious, I just heard a statement from FEMA that they are new and improved and things will be handled differently in CA. Funny There have been no improvements in the graft and waste in NO since the inception of the "recovery" effort. The last thing the folks in CA want is the government "helping" out.

The photo of the column on the Magic fire is nice, Spots like that are where Darin and I used to work (Often it was my module that was creating a column like that) Splitting the head is fun!

looks like BC sent a bomber down, Martin Mars (the Hawaii Mars model) water bomber, 27,000 liter pickup in like 15 seconds, add flight time and dump it!

http://www.martinmars.com/aircraft.htm

3.jpg

This is very devestating to those that live in that area.The loss of property and habitate is enormous.Now the after math.Every insurance company in the country will raise their rates,just like from the hurricanes .In addition they will send the price of building materials nation wide through the roof.

California will raise everybodys taxes.The feds will raise the taxes.We all get to pay one way or 'tother.

Mudslides will be next in store for those burned off areas

Back