The scariest project of my life.

• Thread starter jomoco
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 2K
J

jomoco

Life has a way of humbling you regardless of how good you may think you are.

I consider myself a modestly talented strategic tree removal expert, apparently good enough to raise 3 children with my wife's unstinting help from cradle to college. All my children are now grownup and working, doing their thing.

But a rather challenging new aspect of life presented itself to me when my wife began having trouble accomplishing finely detailed crafts like sewing or other highly co-ordinated tasks involved with being a full time mother to 3 children. At first the problem was barely perceptable when she would drop or fumble things, but it slowly got worse in small increments until I knew in my gut that things weren't right, and that she was suffering from the same neurodegenerative disease that had killed her mother, Huntingtons Chorea, an invariably fatal disease, the same that killed folk music legend Woodie Guthrie of "This land was made for you and me" fame.

It's very fortunate for me and my kids that this wicked disease is a very slow killer, because this allowed the kids to reach adulthood before their mom became an invalid that requires weekly nurse visits and constant supervision except when sleeping.

So rather than burden any of my children with the unenviable chores of invalid care, I took them on myself by going into semi-retirement as a fulltime arborist, becoming the primary caregiver to my wife as she goes through the hospice portion of this incurable disease.

I spend the majority of my time now on the computer trying to stay abreast of the latest stemcell clinical trials targeted for neurodegenerative disease patients going on currently around the world, particularly in Germany at the moment.

I've found the most important thing for a patient's general well being is keeping a sense of hope alive and kickin as long as humanly possible.

And while my wife can no longer communicate with me very well, her mind is still intact and working relatively well, including her sense of humor!

So I communicate with her daily in a chatty sort of way by joshing her that if the stemcell trial in Germany is successful I'm going to put her and her crazy corgi on the next flight to Germany whether she's scared to death of flying in planes or not!

This new insight into the lives of literally hundreds of thousands of other families dealing with debilitating and fatal neurodegenerative diseases like ALS, Parkinsons and Alzheimers is without a doubt the toughest aspect of life's challenges I've experienced so far.

But the words for better or worse, in sickness and in health, are not just meaningless mouthings to me.

I firmly believe that the true measure of a man is not how well he deals with success, but rather how well he deals with serious life threatening adversity when it gets up right in your face.

So now you guys know why I have so much time on my hands to keep my arboreal career alive raising hell in various tree forums when I'm not researching the latest stemcell trials that are the only real hope for curing people like my wife Mary.

Life throws curveballs sometimes, and sometimes even getting a base hit is nearly impossible, but if you keepswinging and keep your eye on the ball, atleast you've been true to yourself and your word before god.

jomoco

AMEN!

My prayers are with you and your wife.

"8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
1Corinthians 13

Oh man , Im so sorry .
My prayers are out there for you now.
You seem like one awesome dude .
Im humbled .

Jomoco everything happens for a reason even if we never can understand it. Good luck and keep searching for treatments. The doctors dont know everything. 8 years ago they told me because of an illness I have that I would have to quit tree work and do chemo for a year. I didnt do either and am doing great. If I could I would love to kick those SOBs in the goolies.

Keep your head up and stay positive for her benifit, make her laugh as much as posible as it does wonders for you....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do think it's important that couples that have good health need to sometimes chill out when arguing over minor differences and thank god they are blessed with good or even marginally good health.

The silly things that Mary and I used to argue about make me cringe in light of what was really happening at the time.

Make each other happy as much as you can stand guys.

jomoco

we have 2 beautiful kids our health a roof over our head and dont have to worry about getting blown up or starve to death. I am thankful

thanks for reminding me;)

Simple Man...Simple Life
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqNBhRiLetg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqNBhRiLetg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Bivy, I mentioned that song in another thread, I have it tattooed on my back. Words I live by.

Jon, your story has made me sit back and think. I guess we could all stand to do that more often. You know, put things into perspective.

Life can be so strange sometimes...we never know what the pitch will be but we do get the chance to see it and decide what to do. Sometimes it seems like we only have hope to work with; but hope is worth a lot...it can certainly keep us going sometimes.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate them.

It's rather strange being a guy whose whole career is a calculated risk that I've been able to manage and control, only to be floored by something I have little or no control of so close to home.

When I first realized what was happening, I was pretty confident I could handle it regardless of how bad it was. But that was many years ago, and years have a way of wearing at you gradually in very subtle ways.

The fact that there are so many hundreds of thousands of other folks in the same predicament Mary and I are in, some even worse off, some even children that will never know the joys of parenthood the way Mary and I have, drives me to maintain a positive attitude and be thankful for our life together raising our wonderful children to adulthood.

My hope is that a medical breakthrough will still save Mary, I know that stemcell clinical trials on patients with neuroegenerative diseases are happening right now all around the world.

I've learned that true strength has very little to do anything physical and far more to do with a stubborn refusal to let life extinguish your hope and faith.

Thanks for the kind words and letting me express myself during trying times here, it helps keep me from a feeling of isolation and frustration by keeping in contact with other tree people.

Work safe guys!

jomoco

As you say, you aren't alone in your difficult situation. Just about anything in life, has also been experienced by someone else at some point in time. There can be comfort in that, seeing how people can rise to meet the challenges. Good luck to you.

Back