The hydrated climber

Yup. I usually have a gallon jug or two of water in the truck, and I’ll have a groundie use it to fill a quart bottle for me. I have a ditty bag on the back of my saddle so it’s easy to carry the smaller bottle.

I got a couple Camelbacks, and I’ll bring one of those if I’ll be working solo, but I’d rather not wear it when climbing.

I've got a small camel back that I use every once and a while. Easy to stay hydrated when there's a straw on your shoulder all day

Carry water with you. You will drink more if it is already there, IMO/ IME.

I've been using an electrolyte powder.

Looking for something without sweetener. Ideas?

i would like to have a camelpack for those hot days but was wondering about hygiene? is it hard to keep them clean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just bought this. Seems good. I like that it has no vitamins because I do that separately.

Attachments

• 05D28271-525E-4282-AB61-195D368F25BD.png
    05D28271-525E-4282-AB61-195D368F25BD.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Just water for me. I get enough electrolytes from my food. I have zero interest in anything sweet tasting. I'd consider mineral tabs for my water if they made such a thing. Military 1qt canteen on my saddle. If I were doing this professionally, I'd send an empty down in exchange for a full one, which is what I do at my real job, except I get it myself. Wet down the pile in the cover, and it keeps the water cooler through evaporative cooling. YMMV for cooling capacity. Humid here, so less cooling, but it doesn't get too warm before I've finished the bottle.

Water bottle or camelbak.
In the hot country I'd take the bladder out of the backpack, fill with water and a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt then freeze it.
A frozen 2 litres would last till at least lunchtime. And be a cool spot on my back. Top it up with cold drinks, put extra insulation around it for the afternoon.

Buy a hygiene kit for your camelbak...use it.
I cleaned the bite valve every day, the hose and bladder every week. A bit of bicarbonate works well and is non toxic if you don't get it all rinsed out.
I'd dry the bladder with paper towel and when stored for any length of time, fill it with dry paper towel and leave the cap and hose off, keeps it all from sticking and having humidity build up inside.

Back