Stihl MSA 220 T

That chain speed 23m/s surpasses current protective chainsaw chaps/trousers specs...the highest I'm aware of is 22m/s arborwear I think 🤔
Most brands are 20/21

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brutal guys don't wear such trousers) I was very impressed by the weight of this saw. Husky т540ixp without battery weighs 2.4 kg. This Stihl MSA220T together with the battery weighs 2.7 kg. How did the Stihl achieve this? Have they used the technology of alien civilizations?)

I'm not there yet as far as wanting a saw that has an appetite for $300 batteries.
I recently bought a MS201 rear handle ($775 Canadian) to replace a MS200T which finally died after many years of service

Six months ago, my 200t also died, but after quite a long search I managed to buy the original piston, cylinder, bearings, carburetor, side cover and shock absorbers. Now my 200t is almost as good as new. Congratulations on your purchase! The best saw is a new saw!) Yes, the price of batteries is really not small. Probably these batteries are covered with 999 gold, at least from the inside) The older the boy, the more expensive his toys are!)

Last edited:
Brutal guys don't wear such trousers

Haha
I asked a financially well off buddy of mine who owns a great big boat how much fuel it goes through?
He said that if you own a boat like that, you dont worry about how much gas it eats.
Having experienced a couple of chainsaw nips to my left leg (+ arm & hand), I wear chainsaw trousers out of habit, not concern.

That chain speed 23m/s surpasses current protective chainsaw chaps/trousers specs...the highest I'm aware of is 22m/s arborwear I think 🤔
Most brands are 20/21

That has always been the case to my knowledge. In the Uk we had to wear type 1 trousers. 20m/s or something.

Yet the smallest power saw we would use would be the 200t which had a chain speed of 24m/s. Didn’t make sense but having met some people from the HandS Executive it didn’t surprise me.

In a lot of cases the rule makers are often clueless to the actual job.

As for the saw Andrey posted about. I hear the 540i from Husq. Is a cracker so if the Stihl is better, it will be some saw.

Thing is with the battery saws is that the run down is quicker, meaning the chain stops much faster than on a petrol saw.
I wouldn’t give a seconds worry to the capability of my chainsaw trousers with these saws.

Me neither. Hasn’t bothered me for the last 20years. It isn’t going to bother me now.

I have been considering changing over to battery but not found one I was happy with. I did worry a bit about my fingers and pull starting a saw. But then again it is usually only the big saws that bite and Jimmy your fingers when you try amd start them. They have got round to electrifying anything of that size and power yet.

Max, better to have hot rocks than no nuts :lol:
The last two sets of dinged chaps I have seen were at dignity height, someone, somewhere is twitching...

Max, better to have hot rocks than no nuts :lol:
The last two sets of dinged chaps I have seen were at dignity height, someone, somewhere is twitching...
Dazzling Fiona, Google Translator can't translate your message, but apparently this topic has not left you indifferent)

I can’t understand Russian. But I can understand that the required and recommended protection is far less than the chainspeed of most saws.

I would expect most hit to the legs are a running down chain though rather than full tit.

What’s the protection level requirements for chaps in the US?

I can’t understand Russian.
Husqvarna T540 XPII®
Professional chainsaw of compact design, for pruning branches and crowning trees, with the ability to operate with one hand and work on the tower. The long-lasting, innovative X-Torq® engine (37.7 cm3, 1.8 kW) reduces exhaust by up to 70% and fuel mixture consumption by up to 20%. The AutoTune system automatically controls the carburetor settings, providing maximum torque and power at any engine speed. The highest performance is achieved by a chain speed of 25.8 m/s. Cutting system 14”, 3/8” mini, 1.3mm. Engine displacement 37.7 cm3 Rated power 1.8 kW Torque, max . 1.83 N*m Recommended maximum tire length 40 cm

What’s the protection level requirements for chaps in the US?

In the US OSHA is silent re. chainspeed protection requirements:

The employer shall provide, at no cost to the employee, and assure that each employee who operates a chain saw wears leg protection constructed with cut-resistant material, such as ballistic nylon. The leg protection shall cover the full length of the thigh to the top of the boot on each leg to protect against contact with a moving chain saw. Exception: This requirement does not apply when an employee is working as a climber if the employer demonstrates that a greater hazard is posed by wearing leg protection in the particular situation, or when an employee is working from a vehicular mounted elevating and rotating work platform meeting the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.67.

In the US OSHA is silent re. chainspeed protection requirements:

The employer shall provide, at no cost to the employee, and assure that each employee who operates a chain saw wears leg protection constructed with cut-resistant material, such as ballistic nylon. The leg protection shall cover the full length of the thigh to the top of the boot on each leg to protect against contact with a moving chain saw. Exception: This requirement does not apply when an employee is working as a climber if the employer demonstrates that a greater hazard is posed by wearing leg protection in the particular situation, or when an employee is working from a vehicular mounted elevating and rotating work platform meeting the requirements of 29 CFR 1910.67.
Quite reasonable rules.

Back