Stihl 084 21" ES 404 bar and new chain

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
I am selling one of my Stihl 084 chainsaws. This one is stock and has been gone completely through and checked over the last couple of years. I have rebuilt and replaced with new oem parts in the oiler and works great. All the oiler lines have been replaced with oem. New long oem MS880 clutch cover installed. HT-7 carb has been rebuilt by me with oem carb kit. New inner small dawg. New left rear AV by carb area. Tested compression today and showed 145psi. Carb is tuned to 11k - 11.5k right now. This 084 has the semi clear gas tank on it too. Has a 21" Stihl ES 404 063 bar with a new woodsman pro full chisel full com chain. Bar tip can be replaced with 3/8 if one so desires. This saw is ready for the big bars and wood. I used it to rip hardwoods into 4 quarter pieces for the guys with smaller saws to be able to cut into firewood.

The nit pick stuff. The 2 bottom muffler bolt holes were stripped, I installed non-oem larger bolts. The 2 bolts holding the top of muffler cover were missing, I installed 2 non-oem bolts. The little bolt that holds the metal inside bar plate is twisted off. Small crack on HD carb cover, scratches on plastic from use. The recoil has a couple of metal squares missing on the top front where I would guess the T handle has hit it in the past. No outer dawg, just a new small inner dawg.

Mechanical wise I can not think of anything wrong with this stihl 084, she just isnt pretty but has lot of heart. I made a short video of it making 2 cuts self feeding then 3rd cut I put it in the middle of the knots and pushed on it to show going through knows with a load on it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask ahead of time. This saw is 100% mechanically sound and ready to cut. $800 + shipping or free pick up.

Video made today. 3rd cut I put it in the middle of knots and pushed on her hard.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tkkXiM4GTg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tkkXiM4GTg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• Copy of Stock084av 019.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 019.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 181
  • Copy of Stock084av 021.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 021.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 182
  • Copy of Stock084av 025.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 025.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Copy of Stock084av 015.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 015.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Copy of Stock084av 016.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 016.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Copy of Stock084av 022.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 022.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Copy of Stock084av 014.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 014.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Copy of Stock084av 023.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 023.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Copy of Stock084av 017.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 017.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Copy of Stock084av 018.jpg
    Copy of Stock084av 018.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just throwing this out there for anyone that might need a bigger saw but is short on $$$. I will take in on trade smaller chainsaws top handles rear handles etc that are in good running condition also or ones that run ok but you gave up trouble shooting small problems.
Let me know what you have in mind and we can work something out.

Later,
Kevin

Just a heads up. Going to put in on the auction sites sunday with higher reserve then sale price now to cover FEEbay fees.

Open to offers, just soon not use FEEbay.

I'm wanting to get a new stihl telescoping pole saw before winter. I would like to pay in cash.

Open to offers to move this 122cc biggie.

it is on sawbid, but I will end the auction bin to work with somebody here.

It will take about what you are asking for that saw to buy that pole saw .That's another item you seldom see sold as used unless the rod/shaft is all bent up .

I have a HT131 it works OK! The one thing is that when it is retracted, it won't fit in an 8' truck box straight, you have to load it diagonally corner to corner. And the 4 mix engine isn't as good as the HT101.

I have the HT101 and it's plenty for me, as little as I use it. I dislike the weight and prefer using the manual fiberglass handle pole saw for anything up to about 2"-3" diameter. The biggest danger with power pruners is people getting them pinched and not being able to reach the limb to get it unbound. If you pull too hard on the unit then you will pull the upper shaft right out. There's not much holding it in and it isn't designed to be pulled on or forced.

That said, for this type of item I wouldn't even consider the Husky version. The Stihl unit is tried and proven over the last 15 years. The Husky unit doesn't even come close in popularity. I've only seen one Husky power pruner in person and that was on a landscraper's truck about 4-5 years ago. He also had a Craftsman riding mower on the trailer, if that tells you anything about his judgment and ability to pick quality tools with which to earn a living. I've never seen any pro ever buy anything other than the Stihl unit.

An edit to add a comment on Brent's post- the HT101 also has the 4-mix engine. You're supposed to get the valves adjusted after 100 hours. I've had mine two years and just bought my first replacement chain yesterday so it may be a while before I take it in for the valve adjustment.

Yup, I screwed up, I meant HT75! I loved that old bugger!

I've used several of Toms' Stihl pole saws and they certainly have the power .I own a cheap Poulan and it does fine for my needs but I don't prune trees for a living .It isn't made tough enough to stand any hard usage nor is it overly blessed with an abundance of power .

I've heard that some company makes a power pruner/ pole saw where the cutting head is adjustable so as to be able to make the cut on the top of the limb rather than on the side and thus bind up on you .What company or if it actually exists I can't say with a certainty .

Yup, I didn't notice what angle it is/was, I just noticed in the book for my polesaw. Ha, mine is a HT101 and requires a valve set at135 hrs (if required). I also have a KM130 which is a bit newer and they don't even mention the valves in that book!

In a 250+ hrs of use (over about 10 yrs) I have only had the pole saw stuck a couple times and didn't cause any damage. The times I got it stuck were when I was at full extension and was holding it up by the recoil at full arm stretch. I was asking for it and got what I deserved. This is all w/o the angle adapter.

That 30 degrees would certainly be an improvement over what they normally are .

It gets a bit tricky ,just a RCH of undercut then try and nip the thing to bring it down without hanging it which is very easy to do from below .

Ha my old buddy in Mexico New York claimed he only hung a polesaw once in his life. My retort was that it was evident he hadn't used one very much . Kinda pizzed him off .:lol:

I was able to get mine back with the hand pole saw! Beats climbin'.:roll:

I'm no pro at anything. All trial and error, big on error.

Some guy is offering a Echo extend-able power pruner. Dont know what model or anything yet or if comes with extra 4' section to make 16' reach. So are the little echos any good?

I'd buy the Echo before I bought the Husky. The original Power Pruner was developed and brought to market by a guy who utilized an Echo motor (similar to how Paul built the Wraptor using an off-the-shelf motor). Echo eventually bought the rights to the company and began manufacturing the unit themselves. It is the original one that Stihl and Husky copied. I'm not familiar with current Echo products or quality but they always had good stuff back in the day. Not the most powerful but always solid and well built.

Here is the only info I have so far. ( Echo telescoping pole saw ) Waiting for more info in a PM.

Thanks for all the help. New territory for me.

I have the echo. Good saw from what little I have used it over the years. My Husky dealer sold it to me, he thought the Husky pruners were junk.

They sell some cheap Echos in the home centers here, except they call them 'The Green Machine' now. I fiddled with one today belonging to a guy on the crew. One step up from junk, but so are the Stihls and Huskys they sell at the home centers. They seem to get more crappy as time goes along, judging by how they look and feel. Out of China?

Back