Stig's visit

Burnham

Woods walker
This past Wednesday I had the pleasure of hosting Stig during his whirlwind tour of the northern CA and western Oregon.

He spent a day with me on the Mt. Hood NF, including a trip up to take a look through Timberline Lodge. We checked out the upper Clackamas River, had a nice little stroll through a handsome low elevation old growth stand of Douglas fir, took in the spectacular sight of Little Crater Lake, and ate lunch with a fine view of Mt. Hood from a 4500 foot ridge adjoining High Rocks. We completed the day with a visit to Vista House and Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge Natl. Scenic Area, then enjoyed a delicious dinner and some good ale at McMenamin's Edgefield.

It was a pleasure to spend time with Stig, both a gentleman and a scholar...and there are so few of us left :D.

He headed down the Oregon coast headed back to northern CA on Thursday, driving a convertible Mustang, probably a smidge too fast :).

Since he flies out of SF on Sunday, I don't expect we'll hear from him 'til next week. I'll look forward to reading his impressions of his trip. It was fun to share this little part of it with him.

Attachments

• Stig's visit 001.jpg
    Stig's visit 001.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 45
  • Stig's visit 002.jpg
    Stig's visit 002.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Stig's visit 003.jpg
    Stig's visit 003.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Stig's visit 006.jpg
    Stig's visit 006.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Stig's visit 004.jpg
    Stig's visit 004.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you notice any accent? :D

Only when he mimics acting like a dumb Danish tourist talking his way out of a ticket from the state troopers :lol:.

Really, Stig speaks nearly flawless English, with a wide grasp of American idiomatic slang. Quite a talented fellow, in many fields.

Were you ever able to wipe that chit-eating grin off his face while he was there? :lol:

Looks like he had a blast. :thumbup:
The trooper thing is hilarious!

Looks like he had a chance to experience some of the best that the country has to offer = some likely good memories for him for sure.

Twould have been nice to meet him, looked like a nice time. Never heard of Little Crater Lake

He invited me to ride up with him to visit with you in the Mustang. Sounded inviting. But dang I'm so busy. Stig is a real fine Human Being, and treeman.

Anyway the flip-fest is on for next spring.

Anyway the flip-fest is on for next spring.[/QUOTE]

SWEET!!!!!

this will be a fun one to get some video from, an old fashioned spur climb!
wish i was in my 20's again or at least wish i had the knees of a 20 yr old
whats the dia size trees?
sorry bout the derail

I had the chance to meet Stig on his way thru, he caught me stripping ivy from fir trees that day,
so we went and caught some lunch, our time was short but pleasant
nice guy, would probabally be fun to go fall trees with
was glad to have met him,
he was kind enough to give me one of his cool company t shirts

Flipfest? Dude you're on. I know I'll lose but it sounds fun none the less. My guys are asking me about the next redwood climb already.

Bump for Stig! Are ya home safe and sound?

Post those pics, my friend, and tell the tales...we're all waiting, holding our breath :D.

BTW, Stig honored me hugely with the gift of one of his most beautiful turned bowls. This one is from a lovely yew burl. I'll have to take some pics and post them. It is truly a fantastic example of the woodturners art. Thank you Stig, from the bottom of my heart.

Here are some pics of the yew burl bowl that Stig turned and gifted to me. It really is spectacular...the pictures don't do it justice, nor allow one to appreciate the wonderful feel of the finish.

Thank you again, Stig.

Attachments

• Stig's visit 012.jpg
    Stig's visit 012.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Stig's visit 013.jpg
    Stig's visit 013.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Stig's visit 015.jpg
    Stig's visit 015.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Stig's visit 017.jpg