So I've got a (nother) new hobby.

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
Collecting straight edge razors.:lol: I started on Sunday and I'm up to six so far. Anyone ever give it a try? I'm going to get setup this weekend and give it a shot. I seem to have an affinity for anything sharp.:/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've only got one here so far, the others are in transit.

Here's a stock photo of the brand new one:
nashvilleknifeshop_2131_203146.jpeg

Here's one I'm bidding on:
416199783_o.jpg

I hope you didn't want pics of me in action. That would be scary!:lol: You'll have to go to the 'Tube for that.

Nah, I shave twice a week at the most, not enough there to bother with

My barber uses a straight razor but it has disposable blades which he replaces every day. It looks like the old fashioned style though.

I'll be using them once I get them sharp. They give the best shave with the least irritation, assuming you don't cut your nose off or something.:lol: I joined up here. Some of the old razors are pretty neat, and they aren't too expensive for a hobby.

Before I read the quote, I thought you were having trust issues with yourself. It's a bitch when you have to start arguing with yourselves.

i went to a barber in Baja years ago, asked for a shave and she brought out the straight razor. yeah, talk about trust, i don't think Ive ever sat more still in my life. the shave was OK, but i shave every 3 months if that so it always burns.

I got a shave and a hair cut in Baton Rouge once from an old colored barber.
Hot towels, straight razor, the works.
My face was as smooth as it has ever been, afterwards.
It is a fun vacation memory to have.

I gave it a shot a couple hours ago. I got everything but the goatee area, I don't think it was sharp enough for that. Pretty damn good shave for the first go. I guess it takes some time to get everything down. I don't seem to have the irritation on the neck like I normally do. I think this just might work out. I've found in my research that it seems to be very common for people to suffer for years with crappy 3,4 or 5 blade cartridge razors, only to find that the double edge and straights will give them the closest shaves without the irritation. Looking good so far.

And your good to go when the power goes out!8) In more ways than one!!!:D

I got a shave and a hair cut in Baton Rouge once from an old colored barber.
Hot towels, straight razor, the works.
My face was as smooth as it has ever been, afterwards.
It is a fun vacation memory to have.

Similar experience myself in Turkey, this ancient geezer looked like he came straight out of the Ottoman Empire, straight razor shave, hot towels, and even the lighted taper in the ears.
Ditto on the holiday memories.8)

I wish I had saved the old double edge safety razors I used to have. Been looking at flea markets and antique stores. You can still buy them new, but they are a little pricey. A single edge disposable works better for me than the multiples.

The old style barbers are still quite common here, using a straight razor, hot towels, always a shampoo and giving a massage to your shoulders and neck. Usually the barber is a woman. After the haircut and shave, they tell you to sit down in the waiting area and take it easy, no need to leave right away.....enjoy the relax. If you don't tell them not too, they will want to put some strong smelling fragrance tonic on your head. You'll get the swallows following you home after the insects.

Those places are in the decline though, like full service gas stations.

Back