Setting/ testing RPMs on 25 hp Onan 2 cylinder gas engine

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=245734

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/940-0751.pdf
Page 27 deals with adjusting the governor after setting the engine speed with a tachometer.

The manual specs 3600 RPM max.

What tool do I need to set check the idle speed to set the throttle mechanism 'stop' so that I don't over-rev it and burn it up, or run underpowered? It has a governor. I'm not sure if electric or mechanical. I don't understand governors. Seems like its mechanical.

I gather I need a tachometer to do this. Can I do this with some sort of capacitive coupling tool wrapped on a plug wire? I had an induction tester for a plug wire to test for spark before. I thought this might be similar. A little web research has got me lost, but someone said its CC not induction.

Am I on the right track? Am I missing something in this equation?

I am getting my grinder running again, after trying to avoid having one. I didn't ever have the idle speed checked/ set, so was maybe under-powered.

I now have to get the varnish cleaned from the carb. I am running some Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. Maybe shouldn't have added both. We'll see how marvelous it it. My friend's finicky Honda generator smoothed right out from "hunting" up and down, after running a bit with MMO. I won't worry about checking the idle until its running smoothly, with new plugs, btw.

A few other adjustments and repairs to get it running and making money. Can only find one guy that doesn't do trees as well as stumps around here, and he's in the next town over.

I figure I should change the hydraulic oil/ filter, as its 5-6 years old, and has sat for the last 2.5 years in an unheated barn.

Unless the Onan "pan cake" twins have changed they use a set of points and a double fire coil like a Harley. This fires both cylinders at the same time .One would be on power stroke and the opposing on exhaust stroke .

As far as setting the gov.,have no idea ,never had to reset one .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
RPM/ HOUR meter on the way. We'll see soon. It will be interesting if it reads double the rpm, if I follow you right. What a tip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know the difference? I'll take some pictures when I get a chance. I can see an 'arm' moving something.

Back