Saddle advice for a new climber.

Jonchitect

Treehouser
Hi All,
I’m new to the tree climbing world and the treehouse. I’ve been looking at buying my own saddle and have concerns re., load capacity.
My questions here are:
A.) how much weight in gear do you typically bring up the tree with you?
B.) Which saddles/sizes do you recommend for a climber who is 200lbs, 6’-2” 34” waist?
For context I was looking at a treemotion saddle on sale for $400, but became concerned by a 260lbs load capacity.
All feedback is welcomed thank you for your replies

Welcome!

I don't know anything, but just to get the conversation going; What kind of climbing are you doing/see yourself doing? Is feeling light and unrestrained important?

For myself, I primarily see myself spur climbing, and doing removals. I'm also old and slow. My saddle is an old school buttstrap saddle with split twin Ds up front. If I were to lose that, I'd probably get the same thing if I couldn't try saddles on in a store. The only change I'd make is possibly going with a webbing bridge. It's comfortable, and I'm very un squirrel-like in the tree. I don't think I'd benefit from a lightweight 'wearing nothing' saddle. I'm 6'-5"/220# dry. I'd guesstimate I'm 240#-250# kitted out.

Again, I wouldn't take anything I say as advice. Just something to get the ball rolling...

Saddles, it gets real personal ... thus the term PPE. Gerry gives a great overview of types and use in "Fundamentals". Gotta find something you like , I would not worry too much about gear weight as if there is something that heavy you need aloft it can be pulled up on rope once positioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome!

I don't know anything, but just to get the conversation going; What kind of climbing are you doing/see yourself doing? Is feeling light and unrestrained important?

For myself, I primarily see myself spur climbing, and doing removals. I'm also old and slow. My saddle is an old school buttstrap saddle with split twin Ds up front. If I were to lose that, I'd probably get the same thing if I couldn't try saddles on in a store. The only change I'd make is possibly going with a webbing bridge. It's comfortable, and I'm very un squirrel-like in the tree. I don't think I'd benefit from a lightweight 'wearing nothing' saddle. I'm 6'-5"/220# dry. I'd guesstimate I'm 240#-250# kitted out.

Again, I wouldn't take anything I say as advice. Just something to get the ball rolling...
Hiya,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and put a couple questions for me to think about.
I think I’d like to feel pretty unrestrained in it. I like freedom of movement. But not at the cost of safety.
I do a lot more pruning than removal so I want to build a SRS kit first. Mostly I’m working in bay laurel, various oak, madrone and fir.

I’m around 6’ and 190 but significantly more with gear, depending what I’m bringing.
My TreeMotion is older and maybe the buckle is better now, but every time I carry a saw bigger than a top handle, suspenders are needed. Pisses me off. Other than that, I love it.
I’ve heard from a few people that the TreeMotion Superlight has a much better buckle.
I also have an Ergovation and it’s quickly becoming my favorite. Stays put, and has all the adjustability of the TM.
I got an old MCRS showing up later this week, I’m excited to build it. Probably gonna be a little while before it’s finished though.

Carrying an extra 60 pounds of gear will be impossible, practically.

Seems like the load limit won't be a concern.

Recreational climbing or work climbing?

I’m around 6’ and 190 but significantly more with gear, depending what I’m bringing.
My TreeMotion is older and maybe the buckle is better now, but every time I carry a saw bigger than a top handle, suspenders are needed. Pisses me off. Other than that, I love it.
I’ve heard from a few people that the TreeMotion Superlight has a much better buckle.
I also have an Ergovation and it’s quickly becoming my favorite. Stays put, and has all the adjustability of the TM.
I got an old MCRS showing up later this week, I’m excited to build it. Probably gonna be a little while before it’s finished though.
thanks, great information

Carrying an extra 60 pounds of gear will be impossible, practically.

Seems like the load limit won't be a concern.

Recreational climbing or work climbing?
Thanks. I’ll be using it work work climbing. That being said, I’m just learning the ropes at the moment. I’ve been working from the ground for a few years

@DMc I think is running the TM SuperLight. How’s the buckle and everything on it, Dave? I hear the biggest complaint is having to step through the leg loops when donning it, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

Welcome to The TreeHouse, by the way :)
How are you learning to climb? Are you working for a tree service and have someone to watch your back and offer guidance as you’re learning?

@DMc I think is running the TM SuperLight. How’s the buckle and everything on it, Dave? I hear the biggest complaint is having to step through the leg loops when donning it,...

Yeah, the TM S.Light is a good harness. My favorite in fact, and there are a lot of climbers that use the TM design and love them, but as has been mentioned, it is a personal thing.

The S.light has a cinching buckle that is much easier to get tight than the quick release buckle on the standard TM. No quick release buckles on the leg pads makes it slow and sometimes awkward getting on, no problem taking it off.

It is a good choice at a reasonable price for an SRS climbing setup.

Weight capacity isn't a valid concern. Any saddle you look at will be fine in that capacity.

IMO because you're a new climber, you really don't have any basis upon which to determine what you want. All you can get is opinions from other climbers based on their personal preferences and climbing styles. Since you are just starting out, you should stick with a basic saddle from Weaver or Buckingham or similar. Don't worry about getting the fanciest, most advanced saddle because you can't use it to it's potential anyway. Just focus on learning the basics and how to be safe in the tree. That's much easier when you aren't fiddling with 37 different adjustments and sparkly doodads.

If you stick with it, then in a couple years when your first saddle begins to show some age you can take the time to compare the newest fancy saddles. Then move up based on what YOU want, not what somebody else says they like.

I had 12+ years in a basic Weaver buttstrap saddle before moving up to some fancy thing made in Australia (can't remember the name now). Climbed thousands of trees in that old Weaver, never considered it a hindrance.

A lot of folks are struggling with the new buckles on the TM - they are slackening off during the climb it seems.

Since i have only climbed in a few saddles, i rarely comment on these type threads.
What Skwerl, Brian, said is true. I started out on a Weaver with a sliding D on webbing bridge. I use that saddle when i train a new climber. Wide back. Will take suspenders if you have a heavy saw pulling the saddle down. Important to consider for my self since I suffer from noassitol. As well as nohipitis. As you progress into your climbing, seek out a harness that can double as fall arrest so you can use it for bucket work and other rope access type work. I went to the Tree Austria for that and added the harness fall arrest suspenders for it. Othe Mfgs have offerings simular. If you can find a show room to try some options, that is best.

I agree with SkwerI. Having said that...

I personally like the Petzl Sequoia...if you want a lighter weight saddle it's a good choice. The SRT version, if going the route of that climbing system might be in your future.

New Tribe has a couple that are very good arborist saddles...maybe look there, too. Avoid their recreational saddles, for work applications.

Last edited:
Hello Jonchitect:

For a really brief period I thought I could use one of my rock climbing harnesses. That silliness ended after a couple of hours in a tree! I switched to a Petzel Sequoia and have been happy with it. However, my experience is really limited compared to most others here so take Burnham's recommendation for that saddle over mine!

Howard

There really isn't a right option. Too many variables with climbing styles, work, body type, etc.

I personally disagree with the above advice of getting a basic saddle though. If you plan on sticking with this gig for more than a year or two, get the nicer saddle now! You might as well be comfortable while you're learning.

Going from a butt strap to a rope bridge made me feel more comfortable, which made me like the work more. I had an ergo-lite for many years, a fine work saddle, maybe a bit heavy but so am I!

Can't go wrong with any of the rope bridge harnesses IMO. Haven't climbed in new tribe or tree Austria or valiant, but the MCRS(valiant precursor ) sequoia, ergo-lite, and tree motion are comfy.

I love the rope suspension Matt Cornell Rope Saddle, and would probably get the valiant if I needed a new saddle. I love to tinker though, it'd be more hands on than others.

My advice?
there are two types of saddles on the market

step into or
Buckle up

the buckle up styles are generally heavier

the step through are generally more mobile

Start there. Each type offers almost endless options

@DMc I think is running the TM SuperLight. How’s the buckle and everything on it, Dave? I hear the biggest complaint is having to step through the leg loops when donning it, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me.

Welcome to The TreeHouse, by the way :)
How are you learning to climb? Are you working for a tree service and have someone to watch your back and offer guidance as you’re learning?

Thanks for a warm welcome and all the feedback. I’m learning to climb with an experienced tree worker who is operating independently. So far he’s been helping me finish jobs that began as fire clearance and grew to include tree work. I began wanting to climb myself, buy have no equipment to practice in/on

Hello Jonchitect:

For a really brief period I thought I could use one of my rock climbing harnesses. That silliness ended after a couple of hours in a tree! I switched to a Petzel Sequoia and have been happy with it. However, my experience is really limited compared to most others here so take Burnham's recommendation for that saddle over mine!

Howard
Thank you Howard. The sequoia also has my eye

Since i have only climbed in a few saddles, i rarely comment on these type threads.
What Skwerl, Brian, said is true. I started out on a Weaver with a sliding D on webbing bridge. I use that saddle when i train a new climber. Wide back. Will take suspenders if you have a heavy saw pulling the saddle down. Important to consider for my self since I suffer from noassitol. As well as nohipitis. As you progress into your climbing, seek out a harness that can double as fall arrest so you can use it for bucket work and other rope access type work. I went to the Tree Austria for that and added the harness fall arrest suspenders for it. Othe Mfgs have offerings simular. If you can find a show room to try some options, that is best.
Thanks you, good things I hadn’t thought to consider

I agree with SkwerI. Having said that...

I personally like the Petzl Sequoia...if you want a lighter weight saddle it's a good choice. The SRT version, if going the route of that climbing system might be in your future.

New Tribe has a couple that are very good arborist saddles...maybe look there, too. Avoid their recreational saddles, for work applications.
Thank you Sir

Just be like every other climber buy a saddle, use it, make some money with it, and up grade it later when you know what features you are looking for.
I came from a rock climbing back ground and used Petzl stuff for many years before buying a tree saddle and went with Petzl from the get go. I bought the basic model with side D's and a SRT attachment (Navaho I think) and settled on the SRT Sequoia and have been the ever since.

Nothing wrong starting up with a four Dee , inexpensive and easy . My progression .... Four Dee Butt style , then a sliding Three Dee leg style , and on to a nice Rope Bridge Leg style

Weight capacity isn't a valid concern. Any saddle you look at will be fine in that capacity.

IMO because you're a new climber, you really don't have any basis upon which to determine what you want. All you can get is opinions from other climbers based on their personal preferences and climbing styles. Since you are just starting out, you should stick with a basic saddle from Weaver or Buckingham or similar. Don't worry about getting the fanciest, most advanced saddle because you can't use it to it's potential anyway. Just focus on learning the basics and how to be safe in the tree. That's much easier when you aren't fiddling with 37 different adjustments and sparkly doodads.

If you stick with it, then in a couple years when your first saddle begins to show some age you can take the time to compare the newest fancy saddles. Then move up based on what YOU want, not what somebody else says they like.

I had 12+ years in a basic Weaver buttstrap saddle before moving up to some fancy thing made in Australia (can't remember the name now). Climbed thousands of trees in that old Weaver, never considered it a hindrance.
Very good points. Thank you!

Back