Regarding Covid

I'm a bit surprised that you thought that a good article, Cory. It was nothing but high-powered fear mongering and negative assumptions.

There is also speculation that this 'new' variant has been here since October.

it was simply numbers regarding the difference in transmission rates and what that means.

based on numbers and math. where was the fear mongering?

“...All good and no cause for alarm, right? Wrong.

A more transmissible variant of COVID-19 is a potential catastrophe in and of itself. If anything, given the stage in the pandemic we are at, a more transmissible variant is in some ways much more dangerous than a more severe variant...”

I didn’t see that the article went on beyond where I initially read, they sure like their ads. The only numbers and math I saw were hypotheticals and “estimates” like 50-100m people vaccinated in the next 3 months (quite the range) or may be 50-70% more transmittable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a bit surprised that you thought that a good article, Cory. It was nothing but high-powered fear mongering and negative assumptions.

The info I found relevant is what KB summarizes and what Carl refers to above in post #6.

Cory, the mathematical projections were based on assumptions that may or may not hold true. Yet the author was making statements as if the worst-case scenario was a given. Taken as a whole it had very little meat and a lot of hype and speculation that appeared to me to be directionally purposeful.

Cory, the mathematical projections were based on assumptions that may or may not hold true. Yet the author was making statements as if the worst-case scenario was a given. Taken as a whole it had very little meat and a lot of hype and speculation that appeared to me to be directionally purposeful.

Fair enough. But what I have read in the past few days points in the same direction- a mutation of equal virulence but more contagious would result in greater problems than we currently have with covid.

To me, Covid as an overall notion has been a rather large national and world wide issue but not cataclysmic, and some reasonable level of control seems likely in 6-8 months. But if this mutation were to become widespread, and perhaps successive mutations did the same, it seems reasonable to believe that something which has been a serious world wide issue could become something worse, something never seen before.

Cory, these words are as relevant today as the day they were written. 20201229_102029.jpg

Viruses are in and on everything, air, water, soil, both on and within 'all' life forms on earth. Genome sequencing reveals that 80% of our dna is composed of viral information with speculation that at one time it could have been as high as 100%.

We would benefit tremendously by not focusing on only the what, but the why, things are happening. Hard to do if we're blinded by our fears.

What says it is outdated?
That’s the whole mutation thing. If it’s mutated into a new strain, the vaccine for the old one is worthless. They change the flu shot “recipe” regularly due to mutation. If it worked against the new one, there’d be no need to change it. The flu strain that came through last year won’t be back. It’s a constantly changing thing. Yet another reason I won’t take the vaccine.

Different viruses are different. The way flu behaves after mutation doesn't necessarily reflect what covid will do.

True. But they’re already fanning the flames of fear with this “new” mutation that has been found in TWO PEOPLE...

The CDC says we've greatly reduced the original flu by social distancing, washing our hands and wearing masks. The CDC also says Covid is running rampant because we aren't social distancing, washing our hands and wearing masks. ????

cases in the UK have been skyrocketing unlike anywhere else in the world. as of late. 60% of new cases are said to be the variant.

Cory, these words are as relevant today as the day they were written.

Yes, I saw that posted earlier.

I don't tend to worry about stuff like the current covid situation, I simply posted on it because I thought the concept of covid going from some level of bad to extremely change-the-world-serious was noteworthy.

My BIL who had it a while back told me yesterday that he still struggles with his breathing, feeling very out of breath with even mild exercise.
He runs his own real estate business so it’s not a big problem at the moment.

If that was me I’d struggle to get through a days work.

Back