Rand McNally, Published by Navteq on Board- Detroit Metro Street Guide- 6th Edition

Mike Davis

Treehouser
This street guide covers Detroit Metro area, Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and portions of Livingston, Washtenaw counties. Great map book to have when you have no help from your GPS. Very detail oriented and easy to follow grid for pin pointing address's. Also valuable to have during power outages when electronics needs recharging or the battery dies all together. $24.50 + Shipping, unless in the 48038 zip code.

Attachments

• 20220102_093928_(1).jpg
    20220102_093928_(1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220102_093912_(1).jpg
    20220102_093912_(1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You could buy a cheap ass android from walmart for less money, and get up to date maps, and gps that shows exactly where you're at.

Still carry an old atlas in every vehicle. Lots quicker that google maps and you don't have to scroll all over the place to see your options for routes and attractions in the area. I used to look at it once and then put it up for the rest of the trip, now it is more accessible out of necessity.

I never use maps aside from looking online. I don't use google either aside from looking at satellite view online. I use osmand on my phone, and use maps I downloaded. All I need is a view of the sky to navigate. No cell service necessary.

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the house. I am a nerd for old school maps. Not planning to go to Detroit. Do you have any other interesting books?
Perhaps a used copy of The Art and Science of Practical Rigging?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never said that this replaces or that their isn't more updated technology to do things better and faster. This map book is great to keep in your vehicle incase of power outages, where electronics would be of no use.. Also, would you believe electronic GPS are wrong, sometimes.

If you have some one who navigates, while you drive, it's easy to pin point address's by a easy to read number/grid system. I don't know how great all the electronic mapping works if you in a place that has little to no cell service, but this book could be a life saver. I apologize for the spelling errors, I always thought it was Grand McNally, but after a second look, it's actually Rand McNally, forgive my faux pas ! I'm not making anybody buy anything, if your interested, great, if not no worries.

Good post, Mike.

You can always edit the thread title if you like

You can use maps loaded on the fly from a data connection, or download maps from areas. I keep WV, PA, DE, DC. and MD on my phone. With a downloaded map, you only need sky visibility to navigate from gps satellites. It uses openstreetmap as a source. It isn't nearly as good as google finding specific addresses, or stuff like restaurants/stores, but it tends to be better for off the road stuff like hiking trails. If one was so inclined, they can submit routes/roads/paths. I've made a couple contributions, but I haven't done it in awhile.

Another app to make low hanging fruit improvements is StreetComplete...

you need an account with openstreetmap, but streetcomplete will locate "quests" in your vacinity, and you can clarify stuff like street numbers, what a building's purpose is, speed limits, and other easy things to help improve the system. I've made quite a few contributions through the app.

I always thought it was Grand McNally, but after a second look, it's actually Rand McNally, forgive my faux pas !

As long as it's not a faux map all is good!! Using real maps is a bit of a lost skill these days. Maps can be cool things.

I have been having fun lately doing research on our family farm in S. GA. It seems there may have been a pre-Civil War mill on the property but no one in the family has a clue about it. I have been comparing 1910 county maps to 1938 and 1956 aerial survey maps to try to understand how a whole pond got "lost" and then came back into being. Kind of fun to do but gets the head spinning sometimes:

1910 Lowndes County map section enlarged.JPG

1938 aerial view farm -I think- zoomed and labeled query for Charles copy.jpg

1956 Aerial map of Boyette Ponds - ALL ponds built.JPG

One of the best things was finding an old family property deed that lists "Bostick's Mill Creek" that once ran through our property. It is now covered over with our 20-acre pond...the creek got dammed to make the pond. Deciphering history.
Inventory Card for Boyette Gin.jpg

Huh, good to know. I'll try it out. That Streetcomplete almost sounds like the waze app. Thanks for the tip..
It's only like waze in the broadest sense. It's more for core infrastructure. It's crowdsourcing data that google gets... well, however it gets it. Think of it as a community service, making the world a tiny bit better. By using openstreetmap, you're trading convenience and features for no spying, and freedom to use the data as you see fit, even for commercial purposes.

You might find something interesting on historic USGS quad sheets Gary. They aren't always very precise, but they may offer clues you don't already have.

Good suggestion. I thought you might have some ideas with your background. Thanks. Clues are a lot sometimes.

Back