Pulling around Logs and getting Stuck.

treebogan

Treehouser
Today me and two mates went out to an old job to pull some Larch Logs one of the guys is going to use to Clad his House.Good thing I forgot the Tyre Chains and we all had a great time un bogging the Truck.Oh yes we did.Alls well that ends well and soon the Logs will be off to the Mill and then onto the side of Rubens new Pad.

Attachments

• Mog Job 001.jpg
    Mog Job 001.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Mog Job 002.jpg
    Mog Job 002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Mog Job 003.jpg
    Mog Job 003.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 19
  • Mog Job 004.jpg
    Mog Job 004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Mog Job 006.jpg
    Mog Job 006.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 21
Serves you right for not using a skidder:P

Looks like a fine day, for Bergen.

No rain.

The novelty of swamping wears off rather quickly .Tire chains or as you say tyre are fine except once you spin them they can have you down to the axle before you know it .Then the fun begins .

I'll tell you from years of sticking anything that can possibley be swamped you're better off to snatch them from high ground with a long line rather than go in and get them in most cases .

Then there is the stick trick
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YnRRGW6z3UQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just goes to prove that the right guy can manage to get anything stuck!

Oh definitely. I used to have a Hemek 18 tonne 8 wheel drive clam bunk skidder. Working in a wood, I accidentally reversed into an old ornamental pond. With all the leaf fall, you just couldn't tell it was there. It took quite a bit of unsticking! :D

What you get stuck seems slightly less important than where. How about in the middle of a mud flat in some nowhere in Baja.... Can't remember what I used for a shovel. :|:

Oh if you have enough chain or cable and something to use as a cross tie you can usually waller yourself out of a hole .The best of course is not to get in the hole to begin with but things happen .

Snow you can bull your way through ,mud you just sink like a rock .

I remember watching the forestry cutter guy get in a bog. He wouldn't stop trying. It was coming in the cab in less than 3 min.

indeed, thats how its always been with me and the guys, you get your rig stuck its YOUR ass thats going in the muck to hook the line to the bumper.

Had a buddy get drunk and take his truck through a lagoon and bury it one night, hooked it to a Jeep and broke the driveshaft on the Jeep, hooked it to a Blazer and it just spun. Finally had to run to ropes, one to the Blazer and one to my Suburban and finally got it out.
I wouldn't ride in that truck for six months after that!

I want to float over bogs, I need to test these more

Attachments

• 1321137311312.jpg
    1321137311312.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1321137063153.jpg
    1321137063153.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 11
My bud called me one afternoon all drunk. He said bring chains and come-alongs. He had come up on a 20 drop off on the edge of a creek, hit the brakes and had none. His truck was about 30 feet out from shore, the cab sunk in the water and the wood flat bed floating. I had him swim out and hook a chain to the truck. The only thing I had to hook the come-along to was a sapling. I winched it in until it started pulling the sapling over. I told him we were done for the day, we needed bigger gear. I took the come-along off and bit the chain around the tree to anchor it, as it was trying to float downstream.

The next day I went back with a tractor and pulled it home. I pulled the dipstick on the engine and water flowed out like a hose. We drained the engine, tranny, and rear end. Flushed them out and refilled. He drove it for years after that. I named the truck "Swamp Sucker" and he painted the name across the hood.

About the only way to negoiate a swamp is with a lot of flotation ,either tires or tracks .

A standard pick up truck with duals is not the answer though .Once those duals get muddied up it becomes worse .

I worked on a pipeline once where they had a regular swamp crawler .D6 Cat with a long seven or eight roller undercarriage heavy duty steering clutchs and 36" wide tracks with high grousers .That thing could go over mud a person would sink knee deep in .All that plus it had a tail end winch .If it ever sunk it could drag it's way out .

Aspludh has a few swamp bucket rigs on crawler track you see every so often .They haul them around on a low boy most times but I have seen them going down the roads about 20 MPH .They have rubber faced tracks more like a sno-cat .

Back