Potential Job Opening

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
WA State Parks may be getting opening a new position on the Arbor Crew. Wanted to know if anybody might be interested or knew of someone.

40 hours a week, typically 4-tens. State benefits: medical, dental, retirement, vacation, sick. Some bureaucracy, but someone insulated from it on the Arbor Crew. Based in Olympia. 30-40 overnight stays away from home with hotel and per diem paid.

Hazard work- removal and pruning, and some healthy tree pruning for clearance over road.

Bucket work, ground felling of large trees, some occasional climbing of small and large trees (WRAPTOR).

Some diagnosis and evaluation (we have a resistograph, among other tools, including regular VTA)--- hazard trees due to defects, root disease, heart rot, structure, etc.

Will require a CDL and ISA-CA if the position is made permanent. On the job training. The State pays for training.

By and large, we don't remove healthy trees unless there is a building project, historical building/ structure preservation, etc. Almost all removals are dead/ dying/ defective, and sometimes downright Rotten.

Bucket pruning for camp ground and roadway clearance.

Position might come through as a cooperative agreement to work with WaDOT with their tree-related road projects, such as hazard trees, view pruning/ removal for traffic cameras, which we did for the first time after a big snow/ ice storm this last year and this past summer. Up to 25% of the crew time will be working on WaDOT projects on state highways and Interstates.

We do almost no clean-up. We mainly get the hazards on the ground and cut small enough for other staff (MS 029 wielding park staff and/ or convict work crews) to further process it.

Parks have tractors with bite buckets and forks. We have a very old log skidder, though the 20K winch is wicked, and it runs well, just small and low power compared to modern commercial machines, which means it goes through intact forests better. 6 year old 60' versalift, Bandit 250 with winch (which we rarely use ourselves) and about 500 hours, 5 year old F350 4x4 with 12k winch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Salary is okay (will discuss by PM), benefits are the big perk. 8 hours paid vacation, 8 hours paid sick per month for first year, 8.67 vacation/ 8.0 sick second year. 2 extra vacation days, plus holidays like T-giving, x-mas, president's day, labor day, memorial day, etc. Reasonable/ cheap medical and opportunity to get family on at a pretty/ very reasonable rate. Retirement matching funds (vested after 5 years).

Its tiring some days, but more risk than labor. Slinging around a MS 660/ 36" bar or 460/ 32" is normal, as is a 200/ 200t, sometimes 088 with a 60". Very little dragging brush, more winching, and that's limited. This last summer, DOT used their own clean-up labor after we were gone for efficiency.

We're there to be professional mess makers.

Most days it doesn't seem that risky to me...knock down some big trees and be alert not to get hit by falling or slung back debris. Bucket prune some trees. Wreck the occasional tree from the bucket without hitting the truck, sometimes wishing for an extra 10 feet of working height.

Leaves some energy for side jobs for extra money, or just take 40 a week and call it good. I don't have much time for my own business' jobs with the baby, so my employee manages most of it, and I only go out to jobs when its beyond their capability, like today when I had to inspect some cables and a light prune, and then bid a removal job that I will do with a crane. Potential to work on my company's jobs.

Driving the bucket with chipper through city traffic is tiring and perhaps a significant risk, though the truck rolls nicely and the chipper well matched for size of the truck.

After talking to Jeff about it yesterday, I figured that I'd add a bit more info that came to mind for any interested applicants. It will be a typical state employment, competitive hiring process. All applicants will have their initial applications screened, then the top three will be moved to the next round, from what I can tell. There was a basic written test, a basic theoretical interview about different scenarios and equipment, and opportunity for both sides to ask additional questions.

Knowing and being able to identify our native species, particularly the native forest species will be important, as that will indicate something about what is wrong with trees to be removed, how their rot, and how to go about felling what is left of them (a lot of hollow, rotten trees). Diseases we deal with mainly are root and butt diseases (laminated root rot- phellinus sulphurescens, annosus root and butt rot, phaeolus schweinitzii root and butt rot in older trees and OG, red ring rot (phellinus pini, stem decay-er), and to a lesser extent, armillaria.

Being a certified tree risk assessor would be a feather in the hat, but not necessary. High quality, large, rotten tree felling skills and confidence doing so go a long way. Being able to swing around a 066/ 36" regularly, and and 088 with a big bar, and able to beat over some dead trees is important. Highest I've been up a two park trees was 150' (hopefully with more OG climbing for assessment and hazard mitigation to come, especially with our new Wraptor), so comfort high up is important. And as Jeff humorously put it, not getting brown bag sickness, is important.

Oh, usually the routine is show up to each park with a basic tree description and location work order, and go to work. Only in some cases do we pre-view the work. Think on your feet. Problem solve. Get the job done.

B, Treewill, of Ascending the Giants, on TB, said it sounded great except that it was working for the State. I shared your wisdom shared with me that its easier to get out of such a job opportunity than it is to get in it.

Indeed.

I swore I'd never work for the feds after watching my father's USFS career get messed with by small-minded bureaucrats back when I was still in college...but things worked out differently for me than I planned, and I have absolutely no regrets. A comfortable, if not extravagent retirement, after a really interesting and rewarding work life. A man could do worse.

I think it is all what you make of it.

I am damn near 45 with a 3 and 5 yr old nearly no retirement and a long road to haul. If I could retire in 20 yrs with half of what I make now I could live happily. Extravagant, doubtful, but happy Yes. Good for you Burnham! I am certain you put your time in.

Yep. No job has been set-up yet. The potential is there, and I believe it to be in the works. DOT liked what we did for them during our pilot project, and our Parks upper management person who is said to have been against the idea, is no longer at Parks. DOT has had to contract work a lot in the past. They had a guy killed felling a tree two years ago. This made them think that they better get better hands on deck, or contract it out more. Their guys can do a lot of ground clean-up after storms, but putting it on the ground is not their daily deal. Another guy got killed by a freak falling (failed) tree while out flagging a road project. Two deaths in a year that were tree related.

Big native species to know for west side of the Cascades off the top of my tired head at 1156p:

Doug-fir
Western Hemlock
Western redcedar
sitka spruce
grand fir
noble fir

Red alder
pacific willow
pacific madrone/ madrona
bitter cherry
bigleaf maple

Additionally:
Birch
Ash
Shore Pine
Pacific Yew

Sure hope so. Could be my coworker for 25 years. Additionally to work on trees together, Lots of windshield time while going park to park, and a shared office, often breakfast together at the hotel while traveling, and the option for dinner. A good sense of humor, and storytelling ability are pluses. Aerial rescue skills and First Aid/ CPR training are pluses, as well, but those are provided.

No plans. You never know. Its sometimes hard working at the State when I was raised with/ developed for myself a very strong work ethic. The greatest frustration for me is that when other people don't do their jobs of monitoring trees, or making good decisions when building structures, my job becomes more dangerous/ harder/ more stressful, while they watch from the sidelines or don't have a clue sitting in their office. I do think about going back to the private sector full-time (still have my business going), but the grass is always greener. I'd come work on your gov't crew. I wouldn't mind working for the man in California. I heard being business owner there is extra, extra tough, from ThatTreeGuy and CursedVoyce.

We just fought a backleaning doug-fir that was left for too long, about 150' x 44". Dead. We were blowing out the backcut with wedges, like 6 sets, some single, some stacked. When we got it over after about 15 minutes or so of banging and stacking, they (rangers responsible for putting in the work order) were none the wiser that the decay that had been occurring over time meant that we were not able to just bang it over like if it was freshly dead or still dying. Engineers see trees on blue prints as circles, I think. We had to get down a decayed tree from over a million dollar bathroom that was a big doug-fir, as tall as the dead one, but only 36", but having root and butt rot... oh, yeah, and it had been leaning about 15 degrees or more over the bathroom before they built it, 5' away. The lean and the roots didn't show up on the blue print, I guess. Makes for an adventure.

I have the easy opportunity to say, "no thanks", or "I'll need a crane, as this bigleaf maple has ganoderma and hypoxylon, and already had a trunk fail. That will be $1 million dollars."

Actually, I'm going to look at said tree now. We were working residentially yesterday and the HO had a hanger he wanted out. Upon closer inspection, I found that one half of the tree, the trunk leaning over the drain field, is so rotten on the back that when I was trying to make my point about decay, and pounding on the wood, after peeling off the loose bark, the wood mushed/ splattered under my bare fist.

The call for the right equipment and price is up to me, not someone sitting in the office saying we can't afford to rent "X".

If we had one of those rotten cottonwoods go 'south', its very likely a pencil pusher would/ could have said that we should have demanded that they rent a 120' lift (which they would have said 'no' to, if asked before something went wrong. Luckily, the last 20 years has seen a good Arbor Crew track record. A picnic table, water spigot, or grill here of there is not a big deal, a building is.

We have a big cat face in a big grand fir to fell. They excavated the downhill roots for a water treatment building that the tree is within 12"-18" of. The tree is about 12-18" behind the corner of the roof. Luckily the rams horns around the cat face are situated just as we need them for a tight conventional face to jump it past the building, while squeezing it between the rest of the trees in the forest. Our access is a compact pick-up or gator. Our F350 won't fit down the road at this mountain lake. We are going to run several wraps between this grand fir and a big, uphill Doug-fir with 5/8" stable braid for a keeper on the butt, which we expect will hold the butt provided it doesn't push back off of other crowns if we don't hit our tight lay due to a rotten hinge. Fingers crossed on this one, sometime within the next year.

But, yes, B, the grass often seems greener.

Back